Second Body Suggestions Requested

smdeep

Hi

I have a EOS 500n which works wonderfully. I want to add a second

body. Since the Digital boom secondhand EOS bodies are pretty widely

available. I have narrowed down three bodies.

a) Secondhand Elan II/IIe

b) Secondhand A2

c) New Rebel T2

I mostly take pics of family and the places we visit. I am mostly

interested in Street photography, Travel, Portraits, documentary. I do

not take too many pictures with Flash.

I would really like some help in deciding.

Thanks in advance

Bob

The A2 is the best of the 3, followed by the elan and then the rebel from a functional POV.

The rebel has the newest (and best?) AF and metering and will be the closest match to

your current 500n. Both the others are a step up in most respects.

I'd take a look at the condition of the second hand bodies and then pick the best of them

if I were you.

regards,

The 500n/Rebel G and the Elan II are from the same era & both were the first to use Canon's E-TTL flash metering. Since flash is not important to you, the A2 is better in most other respects. It's AF start time is a little slower, and it may develop a failed Command Dial, but otherwise it is the better handling/featured of them. And it's viewfinder is significantly better.

The Rebel T2 will have a faster AF, but will not have the Quick Control Dial on the camera back. Both the Elan II & A2 have this & it makes operation faster & easier.

The Elan IIe also has eye control, which I think is great, but not everyone agrees.

Unless AF speed or eye control is absolutely the most important feature for you, I would rate them 1)A2, 2) Elan II, 3) Rebel T2.

The A2 is (in)famous for its breaking of the Command Dial (and the flash not poping up). Beware!

(After I bought my Digital Rebel I've got a A2E with a half-broken, but still functioning CD and a flash that doesn't pop up anymore for 53 EUR out of some nostalgic feeling for film cameras and because I liked the idea to use my wide angles at their proper focal length. Didn't have much use since then, though. Apart from the other benefits of a digital camera, its also just a matter of costs. Film, development and camera batteries add up costs quickly. But that's another subject, sorry.)

I would probably avoid the A2 'cause of the potential defects. But if you are a tinker, you might get one really cheap, and there are instructions on the net on how to repair them (I didn't manage though, probably too stupid).

Hi Paul

I use either Shutter priority mode most of the time and then use exposure compensation if the scened demands it. So yes I do use Exposure compensation. If shooting Landscape I use complete manual mode and compensate for exposure.

Yakim, yes I am getting a 50mm f1.8.

Thanks

Bob

Then either a) b) or as Joe Richards suggests.

I still have the Elan IIe for film and it does everything I need really. Wireless remote is very cheap as well. I did have an A2 as well and the fiewfinder on that was great although it is a bigger camera.

The Elan IIe has the best low light AF performance of these including the Elan 7e etc.

If you use exp compensation much then don't get a Rebel as they are too fiddly (I used to own one).