NIKON D70 blinking memory light

ilya_shevchuk

HI, by some reason my memory light started to blink and i can't turn

my camera on. I tried to replace the bettery and a memory card but it

didn't help, light is still blinking and i can't turn the camera on.

I would really appreciate any responce. Is it needs to be repaired or

it's something else that i don't know?

Any responce will be appreciated.

Thank you

ilya

It has come to our attention that select electrical components in a limited number of D70 cameras may, in some instances, fail affecting camera performance and/or operability.

While only a limited number of D70 cameras are affected by this advisory, if (1) when a memory card is inserted, your D70's memory card access lamp blinks, locking camera operations and preventing operation, or (2) with no memory card inserted, the camera will not turn on despite the battery indicator showing a fully charged battery, Nikon Inc. will service it free of charge.

To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides instructions.

For additional information about this advisory, please call Nikon Service Relations toll-free at 800-645-6678 and select option 1. To email inquires about this advisory follow these steps:

1. Use this link to navigate to the Nikon Service Information web page www.nikonusa.com/service

2. Click the link on the left side of the page labeled for information on service for photographic products.

3. Click the link labeled SEND AN EMAIL TO THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT located at the bottom of the page.

4. Click the tab labeled Ask Nikon a Question

5. In the Subject field please be sure to type D70 Service Advisory

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience.

Found this on Nikon website.

Dan

• 7 months later...

I had this happen today with my D70, and on a shoot, with no backup. ):

I wonder if anyone would know if this issue is related in any way to the usage of certain types of CF cards, that are not in Nikon's recommendation list? I've been swapping a few different varieties of cards recently from various makers, and this issue does center on a green light flashing on the memory light. Just coincidence?

• 7 months later...
One possible explanation for this is my experience. As soon as I ordered a d200, the BGLOD problem started on my d70. I'm not kidding. And this is not the first time something like this has happened to me: Once, I was getting ready to sell a car, and the day before the transaction, the battery died. I'm telling you, these high-end consumer goods have more spirit than you think! At any rate, I have just returned from FEDEX having shipped my d70 back to Nikon in Melville, NY. Jim in Pittsburgh

• 2 years later...
<p>My camera developed the BGLoD a few months ago. I finally sent it in after reading Nikon acknowledged the issue and was repairing free of cost. After sending it in, they sent me a estimate of a few hundred dollars. After calling them several times, I finally got a response back that camera was functioning, but the exposures were either under or over exposed. I told them I was shocked that it turned on at all, but I wanted to see for myself. They sent it back and indeed it turns on, but the exposures are all over the place. I've read elsewhere that this sporadic exposure is linked to the BGLoD. Very angry with Nikon for not acknowledging this and now I have a expensive paper weight. </p>

<p>The blinking green light is a general indication of a number of problems; I believe some of those are related to the circuit board inside the camera. Nikon's D70 out-of-warranty repair only applies to a specific defect, mostly happend to D70 bodies manufactured in 2004 (the D70 was replaced by the D70s in the summer of 2005). Other defects can also cause the same blinking green light symptom but those are not covered out of warranty.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it is entirely up to Nikon to inform you whether your specific problem is covered or not.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>My D70 started doing this (when a memory card is inserted, starts blinking and locks up) so I sent it in last week. Nikon (El Segundo, CA) sent me an invoice for $212, saying that the camera locking up is not covered under the service advisory. I called twice but to no avail. I will NOT be buying from Nikon ever again--I am switching to Canon. I've been a long time Nikon person but no more. I understand now why there's a general movement from Nikon to Canon especially with Digital cameras. Nikon, Are you listening? You could've honored your service advisory (complimentary service, my butt!!!) for measly $212 but no, you are losing thousands in future sales from a loyalist like me. Canon D50, here I come!!!</p>