Hassie 501C or 500CM

trygve1

Hi all.

I was offered one these to cameras. But I have no idea what the

difference is.

Wich one would you purchase?

Wich model is considered the "best", (You know what I mean).

On Ebay the price is almost the same.

The 501C I can buy for US $1,145.00 with:

80mm Carl Zeiss CB f2.8 Lens with Hasselblad filter,

2x A12 -6X6 magazine.

1x Polaroid back Pol 100

Is the price fair?

I was under the impression that the CB 80 is optically identical to the regular 80. Some of the other CB lenses used different optical formulas, but the 80 was unchanged.

And I think one of the longer CBs is actually a Tessar formula. I quite enjoy the "look" of Tessar shots, even if they aren't the sharpest lenses wide open. Very pleasant for portraits.

Yeah, it does look like a different formula. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Less elements means less flare, and a recomputed version might be plenty sharp just due to the updates. But one would have to test them to be sure. There must be reports somewhere.

As to whether or not this is a good deal, condition would be more important to me than whether or not it was one or the other lens formulas. Hassys generally get bought new by pros, who work them hard.

If you watch eBay for several months, you get a good idea of what the going rate is. As always condition and a bidding frenzy will drive prices up.

That said, you can get a 500CM + 80CF + A12 back for less than $800 USD, depending on age and condition. And if you are patient...sometimes much less. The A12s can be bought for approx $100USD on up. A 501C will make the package cost 100-200 more.

The one thing to watch is shipping. Some of the sellers really hit you on shipping costs. I've seen the same item with shipping from $5 to $25.

As others have said, a good reference point for prices is the used prices at KEH. I use them as one of my reference prices. Why bid more for an item w/o a guarantee when you can get similar at KEH and they will stand behind their product. Just notice how many items on eBay are "AS IS."

gud luk

Gary

Thanks a lot everybody!

I will go to KEH and the other link to look at it.

Yes he sells it "AS IS" but he wrote that it has just been to Hasseblad and they said OK for the functionality. There are no scrathes on the glas/lens etc.

Good point that the Pros work them hard. I didnt think about that.

I hope hes an amateur:-)

Be careful. As you are located in Denmark you might be have to pay VAT and custums fee when buying from the US. Better try Ebay or a good photodealer within the EU (or ask me, I also have a full 500 CM kit available).

Ok, I'm a new Hassie 500CM owner--so new it's still in the mail and I won't receive it until Monday. I've been doing some research here and there about the difference in the 500 series too--I've got Mamiyas and have never shot with Hassie.

On the 500CM I know that the smaller mirror cuts out a full view of the scene with lenses 250mm and longer. I'm not sure, but I think the 501C may have used a larger mirror to correct that problem--am I right Hassie experts? Just another thing to consider between the two models.

William Markey

Birmingham, AL

bamapix@yahoo.com

William,<br><br>The 501 CM (note the M) has the larger, non-vignetting mirror. The 501 C does not.<br><br>The cut-off happens with lenses as short as 120 mm, and up. Not just with 250 mm and longer. It also happens when you put a shorter lens on extension tubes or bellows.<br>But you get used to it. ;-)<br><br><br>Vic,<br><br>The link between "later" and "better" is one based on the quite reasonable assumption that the older thing will show more wear. ;-)

William,

I heard the same about the vignetting mirror, and thought I just had to have the 501CM. But I recently got a 150 and put it on my 500CM to look for the vignetting and see how bad it was. I had to look for the vignetting, because it was not very obvious. The top of the screen is slightly fuzzy, like something badly out of focus. So while it does affect the 150, it is not very noticable...at least to me.

I would say out to 150mm it is not really an issue for most people.

Gary

Gary,<br><br>It does start to be a real issue with lenses as short as 120 mm.<br>But linking this to focal length is not quite correct: the position of the exit pupil, relative to the mirror, is the thing that matters.<br>And this is where the 150 mm Sonnar stands out: its exit pupil is rather close to the mirror again (actually closer even than that of the 100 mm lens), so mirror-vignetting isn't too bad, compared to, say, the shorter 120 mm lens.