How to use a changing bag

steven_dowell

Ok folks, here's a dumb one. How do I use my new changing bag??

There is an external and an internal zippered section. If I put my

film/holders in the interior section, don't I risk light leaks

around the arm holes? If I put it in the outer section, I can't get

my hands around the film/holders. Boy do I feel dumb. Be gentle

please.

Steve

Steve -

You have to put everything in the inner section. To achieve complete darkness requires two layers of the bag fabric.

The arm holes should be lined with elastic. The theory is that the elastic will snug the "cuffs" of the bag around your arms to provide a light seal. I've never had a problem with mine, but I've often worried about whether those seals were really as tight as they need to be. I think that the prudent thing would to be avoid using the bag in bright light, and try to make sure that the cuffs are as snug around your arms as possible. And by all means make sure that there are no bright light sources behind you that could shine into the bag interior through any gaps around your arms.

By the way, my experience is that changing bags are never large enough to hold everything that you need for one-shot changing. My practice has been to put my holders and an empty film box into the bag, zip everything up, insert my arms, and carefully take out the exposed film and transfer it to the empty box. After closing the box, I withdraw my arms, open the bag and remove the box containing the exposed film. I dust out the holders and partially nsert the darkslides (white side out). Then, I put the box of unexposed film into the bag, zip up, insert my arms, and load the holders.

Even with this approach, I find that it's awfully tight in the bag, and it's hard to maneuver film between box and holder, and assure that it is properly oriented. I also think that changing bags are the perfect source of dust to contaminate holders. So while I carry one in my 'travel kit' (in a plastic bag to minimize accumulation of dust), I really prefer to just go into an inside bathroom, stuff a towel under the door, and turn out the lights.

Put your film/holders in the interior section, close both zippers, insert your arms through the arm holes, and then open the film box and load/unload the holders. Reverse the process when you are done. As long as your arms are in the arm holes, there should be no light leaks. If you take your arms out of the arm holes before you are done, you do risk light leaks; that is why you should never insert/remove your arms from the changing bag while film is exposed inside the bag.

Don't feel bad, Steve. We all had to learn it at sometime. Now's your turn ;-)

Unzip both zippers and put the film box and holders in the innermost section. Rezip both zippers, and put your arms in the holes. It works best if you wear a short-sleeve shirt or T-shirt.

Push your arms into the holes as far as comfortable - mine go in about up to my elbows.

Yes, in theory, you risk light leaks, but in practice, they almost never happen. You are far more likely to insert film in backwards, fail to close darkslides completely, or forget to properly close the film box.

Have fun!

I change my 5x7 holders comfortably in the "original," standard-size tent, but it works better if I perform one step at a time, as mentioned above.

By the way, don't forget to remove your luminescent watch before thrusting you arm in the bag.

I put holders, film, etc, in a plastic garbage bag, and put all that in the changing bag. When I work inside the changing bag, I try to make sure I'm also working inside the garbage bag, too. The plastic bag helps keep the inevitable dust off the film that otherwise seems to rain off the inner fabric of the changing bag. "Helps," but doesn't cure the dust problem completely.

I can still remember instructions included with a changing tent I bought about 30 years ago. "Always insert your arms in PAST your elbows". Light does not want to turn a corner. I have lost count of the times I've used it outside in direct sunlight - yes it gets unbarebly sweaty in there to the point of dripping wet, but I've never had a light leak. Trust it.

Hi

I bought an inexpensive changing bag that did not prop up so I got a plastic sigh from a local politician campaign and made an interior frame to hold it up. I cut through half the plastic and made folds into a half box design. I used velcro to hold it together. I would say that using a changing bag especially for film holders will reduce light leaks by 99%.

Yeah, i agree it's sweaty to change film in the bag especially in hot summer...as the bag itself will collapse on your hands, film box, etc., which makes you feel so uncomfortable. I will put in a little plastic folderable little 'chair' so that it will work like a tent...so far so happy.