Nikon F5 Matrix Meter

wuyeah

Dear ALL,

Current model I own is F3 & Ftn with lenses 28mm f2 AIS, 35mm f1.4 AIS, 50mm f1.4 AIS

& 85mm f1.4 AIS MF lenses.

F5 2nd hand have finally meet my spending. Always want to own a F5, thanks to digi era.

As I research, the build-in matrix metering will not activate its amazing power with older

lenses. Since all my lenses are AIS, will the Matrix meter able to work on lenses i own, or i

do have to purchase Auto F lenses in order to use matrix meter well?

My old MF lenses serve me so well in the past, wishing just adding a body, not a whole line

up of equipment by one purchase.

Thanks,

W.

Nikkor lenses without CPU contacts on the lens mount will not activate Matrix Metering on the F5.

If you are looking for a Nikkor camera that will activate Matrix Metering with manual focus lenses, you need to seek out the F4. You do have to remember that in that case, Matrix Metering will only work if the lens is AIS or genunine AI. Non AI or AI-modified lenses will not activate Matrix Metering on the F4.

On the F5, you will get center weighted and spot metering with your AI-S lenses. I happen to feel that matrix metering is not a big deal and you'll do just fine with center weighted and spot. After I bought my F5 back in 1997, I quickly found out that its matrix metering still could not handle a lot of tough lighting conditions, and using the spot meter is a better way to go. Today, I freqeuntly override the exposure selected by my D2X's matrix meter.

The F5 cannot be modified to matrix meter with MF lenses. The lenses however can be

modidied by adding the CPU and contacts from a similar AF lens if there is one available.

3 film bodies matrix meter with MF lenses. The FA, F4 and F6. The FA and F4 have the

appropriate indexing tab and the F6 allows you to enter focal length and max aperture

manually (Max aperture is necessary for matrix metering to work). Only the FA allows P and S

modes with MF lenses, the F4 and F6 only handle them in A and M.

I never used and still do not use Matrix Metering with my

Nikon F5 even when using AF lenses. I find center-weighted

metering and hand held light meters fill the bill for me. I do

use matrix metering as my primary in camera meter with my D2H

but its not nirvana.<br>

<br>

Since you own a Nikon F3 you should be quite comfortable with the

center-weighted metering of the F5. The F5 is a great camera for

use with manual focus Nikkors. The F5 is my favorite film camera

for AI and AIS Nikkors. Most of my lenses are manual focus,

though I own five AF lenses and have about a dozen AF lenses on

my wish list.<br>

<br>

The F5 focus screens are well suited to manual focus with most

lenses. They are probably too smooth for super speed lenses as

are the F3 Red-Dot screens.<br>

<br>

Dont worry about matrix with your lenses for a moment. Go

for it!<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

In real-world shooting situations, you wouldn't really miss matrix metering. Center-

weighted is fine most of the time and for when it's not, use the spot meter. I jump back

and forth between AF and AIS lenses on my cameras all the time and you can either get the

image you want or you can't.