MP power consumption

eric_hurtado

I own an MP. Can someone give me a definitive answer ? When the shutter IS NOT

COCKED,and i'm not on B/Off position, if i press the shutter release, is there any power

consumption?

John Collier, testing this problem on a M6TTL (nemeng.com FAQ) said that even the

shutter wasn't cocked there is battery drain pressing on the shutter release.

thank's for your lights on this little question...

Dear Eric,

I almost NEVER turn mine off (cameras with 'on/off' switches aren't part of my world picture) but 2x SR44 last for many months. That's with the shutter cocked, admittedly. I can't see how there can be battery drain unless you press the shutter release, but why would you store it with the shutter release pressed?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Roger, your experience & mine aren't similar. When I forget to turn mine off, it drains the battery distressingly quickly - a couple of weeks, maybe. I find it annoying and think it might be a defect. This plus the viewfinder dust problem is making me consider sending it off for a bit of a service.

When uncocked the meter has no connection to the battery at all, when cocked the battery is connected to the metering circuit this should take minimal (leakage only) power when not activated by a shutter press. In practice this leakage has no effect on the cells lives unless the electronics are faulty, perhaps by a partial short caused by moisture etc. or a 'real' fault. Measuring my '6' I got these figures...

On 9mA,

Timed out unmeasurable (less than 1uA) and off the same.

Given about 120mAH for an LR44 thats 13 hours of metering or 120,000 hours off at 1uA

I've used both & quickly gave up on the LR44s; they'd drain in a few days. SR44 are better, but still not all that good in my camera. The only reason I haven't gotten it serviced already is that I secretly suspect that this is God's way of reminding me that I shouldn't use in-camera meters, because they're designed to put my eye to sleep and trick me into exposing improperly - so I just use it without the meter a lot, just like my M3. Makes me glad I didn't get the M7....

Dear Bob,

A true Leica user's response. After all, if God DOESN'T use a Leica, what could he use?

(Mind you, I've always been deeply suspicious of the assertion that God rides a Harley. Surely either a Norton or a BMW, though there is a strong argument that His Son rides a Sunbeam, cf. Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam. But if you are divine, presumably oil leaks miraculously disappear and even Harleys turn corners).

An appropriately Christmassy thread, perhaps.

Love, light & peace,

Roger

I use LR44 batteries in my MP and the first set lasted at least 7-8 months shooting on average about a roll or two a week. And I do nothing special about turning off the meter (setting to B) usually just leaving it "on" whatever setting it happens to be. For the most part it resides in my computer-type briefcase with no camera case.