Split Image Focus Screen for ist DS...

clark

There's a person on eBay who is selling homemade split image focus

screens that will fit a ist DS. The item number is 7604163131.

My concern with this device is this statement in the description:

"AF works mostly as usual."

Particularly the word "mostly".

Does anyone have any experience with this screen? Does Pentax make a

split image screen for the ist DS, and if so, where could I get one?

Thanks,

Clark

Clark -- I contacted Pentax about split-image screens. Below is the reply:

Donnie,

Thank you for contacting Pentax Imaging Company.

Pentax does not produce a split-image focusing screen for the *ist D or *ist DS models. This is because AF functions and multi-zone metering can be "confused" by the use of such a screen.

Pentax produces the following focusing screens for the *ist D and *ist DS models:

#38571 LF-60 AF Frame Matte $62.00 (Pentax List Price)

#38572 LL-60 AF Divided Matte $62.00 (Pentax List Price)

#38573 LI-60 AF Scale Matte $62.00 (Pentax List Price)

We hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at (800) 877-0155.

Thanks again,

Joe Virgil

Pentax Imaging Company

if you're like me and don't use auto-focus or the in-camera meter, then these are not issues. the whole point in the split prism is for people who wish to focus manually; it would be nice if pentax themselves offered such an option. anyhow, i'm about to order the katzeye product and will share the experience once the thing arrives.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the camera yesterday, and I think I'll wait to see how successful I am at manually focussing with the stock screen before buying a new one. That katz eye screen looks like just the thing, though.

The funny thing is that on the Pentax web site, under the "Features" section of the ist DS, is the following:

"Enjoy the versatility of an interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen. AF Split-Image Matte and AF Divided Matte screens available as optional accessories."

I think they need to update their site :)

Clark

One more thing - any idea how much the split screen would screw up metering and AF? I'd like to be able to use Auto Focus sometimes and focus manually sometimes, and I'll almost exclusively be using the in-camera meter.

Clark

Clark --

" AF Split-Image Matte " on the Pentax website confused me too! That's why I emailed them. The Katz eye looks promising, though.

I was looking for a split-image screen when I got my DS (great camera). However, after using the red focus indicator in manual focus mode, I must admit it does a good job. Just a thought. And if you do decide to change screens anyway, it's super easy.

Clark: I only use manual lenses in my ZX-5, so I installed a Split Image, microprisms focus screen from a Pentax super program in it. I have not been able to detect any bias in the exposure: it is just as good as it should be whith the original matte screen. The focus confirmation signal works also as should be, but I don't have checked it whith an autofocus lens, as I don't own any. I don't know if it applies also to the ist. YMMV. Regards.

Huh - it would probably be a lot cheaper to buy a used Super Program on eBay and cannibalize the screen that to buy one of those aftermarket screens. Was any modification to the screen required before you put it in the DS?

Thanks,

Clark

I did't install it in a DS, but in a ZX-5, a former autofocus film camera. I haven't seen a *ist (digital or no) in my life, so I don't know if it will work for it. In the super program (it was really a super A, same camera in European name), the focussing screen is glued in a kind of metallic frame with a tiny screw to (I suppose) adjust the focus. I just unglued the screen from the frame. In my ZX-5 the screen is supported with a hinged spring frame. With a small screwdriver, you have to loose the frame (the trickiest part), and just put the new screen instead of the old one. Take the usual care about dust, and putting the screen in the correct sense (not upside down). Then adjust the frame again, and that's all. Regards.

Clark -- I can tell you that the screen in the DS is much smaller than a 35mm screen, so a donor screen would have to be cut down to size. To remove the DS screen, you use a tool (a new screen comes from Pentax with a pair of tiny plastic tweezers) and pop a little tab out of the way of the screen while holding the camera upside down. The screen comes out just like that. Don't scratch the mirror. Installation is the reverse.