5D and Tokina 28-80 ATX

gareth_harper

This won't be any help since I'm not shooting with a 5D...but I do get an occasional error 99 with the 20D, but its not that bad. If you've had your Tokina for a while, you very well may have to send it in to get rechipped. I had to send in mine to get rechipped for the 20D.

You may well be in luck. I don't recall having seen any confirmed reports of lens incompatibilities with the 5D. I think there is a good chance that the 5D may be more tolerant of third party lenses than the 10D and 20D - just as the 1D and 1Ds were (they even worked with some older Sigmas that would set "BC" blinking on your EOS 30s). However, the best plan is to test it out before you buy. I'm not sure if any effort has been made to keep this FAQ up to date, but it does suggest that there have been no substantive issues with any third party lens made after 2001:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/canonFAQ.htm#3Q2c

Another slight reason for caution is the bold statement in that FAQ that states that there are no compatibility problems with Canon EF lenses and Canon bodies, despite e.g. the well known issues with a proportion of 70-200 f/2.8 IS lenses and a number of more recent Canon bodies.

Whilst it may not be the best available standard zoom, the Tokina is no kit lens and is capable of a very respectable performance. Here's where it stands in one ranking:

http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylenstxt.jsp?filter=%22brand='Canon%20EF'%20OR%20brand='Sigma%20AF'%20OR%20brand='Tamron%20AF'%20or%20brand='Tokina%20AF'%20or%20brand='Vivitar%20AF'%22