300 F/4 or 70-300 ed or sigma

la_filip

hi, im as you can sat a newbie to dslrs and there lenses, but i need

some help from a pro photographer like you guys on the site. I

recently got a d70s with a 18-70mm lens, but i need some thing longer

now as i plan to get into all the aspects of photography. im wanting

to shoot sports/wild life but finance is the major prob, iwe been

thinking of getting a 70-300 nikor or sigma lens but i curantly saw a

300 f4 second hand for $800 au, so what would be a better choice???

can any one help

other advice is very welcomed

Stay away from off brand lenses and you will be happier in the long run...

Start with a 300mm manual focus Nikkor... CHeck KEH and EBAY - under $200US... I bought one for my daughter for her D70 and she loves it... I use one on my F5... The glass is first rate... The price is right... So, you don't have the latest whiz bang auto focus - so what? You have lots of money left over for film and prints...

denny

Dennis,

you just said " ... lots of money left over for film ... " and that refers to poster's newly bought D70s. Likewise your " get a manual lens for under 200$ " sounds a bit iffy. How would you meter with a manual lens AIS on the d70s?

Yet you were right to warn of off-brand slow zooms etc etc.

Good morning.

Get the Nikon 300mm f 4.0 AF lens for your D70s. You should be able to find one used in very good condition for less than $800. It is an excellent lens, is built like a tank, operates smoothly, and its tripod collar is excellent. Do not get any manual focus Nikon tele lens for the D70s. It might not meter on this body and accurate focusing will be a real problem. Joe Smith

Flip, A 300mm f/4 AF (or AF-S) is one of the best lens choices you can make for you D70. There is no comparison in quality between that lens (pro quality optics) and the 70-300mm zoom (less resolution & contrast). If you buy the prime you will be still using it in several years. If you buy the zoom you will probably be shopping for a prime in a few months.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=529326

Every photo in the folder above was taken with a Nikon 300mm f/4 AF bought on auction for $360 in 'like new' condition. No way in a million years could I have got similar results with a 70-300mm zoom.

All the best, -Greg-

Here in the 'States, you'll find the AF version for well under $800, but you did say "$800 au". I understand that prices in Austrailia are much higher than here, not taking into account the exchange rate. You could buy a used lens here in the US and have it shipped but by the time you exchanged Aus$ for US$ and paid shipping, you might not be saving anything.

I had a 300 f4.5 manual focus ED lens and it was one of the best lenses I've owned. I sold it because it won't meter with my Fuji S2, nor will it meter with a D70. You really need an AF lens to get full use with these cameras, IMO.

All images on my pbase avian galleries were taken with the Nikon 300mm f/4d ED-IF. Don't make the mistake of getting the 70-300. The 300mm is a very fine lens and well worth the money.

http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/the_birds_of_louisiana

I also shoot my macro images with the same lens. I use the Kenko extension tubes with that lens.

http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/its_a_small_world