120 film availability in Melbourne, Australia

simon. c

Does anyone know any shop in Melbourne, Australia that stocks 120 film such as Tri-X, 100VS,

E200, Fujifilm 400H...etc? I have planned to visit the city this coming May and although I would be

bringing a fair amount of film with me, it is always possible that I would need to stock up while I am

there. Thanks.

Vanbar in Cardigan st, Carlton (www.vanbar.com.au). You can catch the University tram from Swanston St and get off at Lincon Square. It's a 15-20 minute walk from Melbourne Central/RMIT. They do mail order, so you may be able to pre-order and have it waiting for you.

In the CBD I think Ted's Camera and Michael's Camera (both in Elizabeth st) keep some pro films. Don't buy any 2nd hand gear from Michael's though, they are normally double the going rate. Up the hill a little in Lonsdale St you will find the Camera Exchange which will usually have the best range of MF gear.

Do not try Camera Exchange - John C has not sold film for years.

Do not try Michael's unless you are up to having an argument and making an issue of some pricing policies they have - last time I was in there a month ago the wanted 1.5x rec retail for Kodak pro lines. Yes they have much of 120 films available.

Ted's is fairly competitive and if the fridge has noit broken down again recently they have many of Fuji, Kodak and Ilford lines and will give a discount for larger buys.

I have never bought from Vanbar but hear they are good too.

Locally, just plan ahead and buy a reasonable quantity like 3 or 4 pro packs of 5 units and then when paying ask for a "pro-discount" and stand some ground - you'll get at least 10% off and maybe 15%.

Also even check use by dates and haggle over them if less than 6 months left - I have got up to 30% off! Then freeze some and put the rest in the fridge.

But if you plan ahead, do as I do and buy in bulk from B&H or similar in the US (world's biggest market) and save an average of 40-50% on your 120 and 35mm films including freight and allowance for GST. I do it 1 to 2 times a year (but current Exchange Rate has taken near 10% off the savings).

If you like email me off line and you can piggyback on my next buy in a few weeks.

Vanbar (Carlton and North Melbourne) would be the best, and close to the centre of Melbourne. Carlton easier to get to by public transport. Michaels is very expensive, as well as being very annoying. Don't go there. If you're in south east suburbs, Schreiber in East Bentleigh has a reasonable range. Borge Andersen in Port Melbourne is worth a try.

Phone first, because stocks might not be very good at most places.