Night time fashion shoot

tony_black1

In terms of exposure, meter the ambient light, and adjust your flash for the same aperture. It's basic flash metering, not rocket science. And your camera may automatically adjust flash power for you in aperture-priority mode. Canons do, others may as well.

The other problem you may very well run into is that if there is any significant ambient light other than just twinkling city lights in the distance, then it will likely be of a different color temperature than your flash - but that can be corrected with gels.

If you really don't want it to look like a flash has been used, then watch out for unnatural, multiple, or mis-matched shadows as well.

steve

The easiest way if you dont have a light meter is to put the camera in A mode with my desired aperature and snap a shot of the city without the flash (probably using ISO 400), note the shutter speed that the camera chose.

Now lock that in with manual, and add some flash be sure to difuse the light quite a bit and maybe add a bit of yellow gel to the flash.

Using the power control on your strobe you can adjust the brightness of the model, adjusting the shutter speed will adjust the brighness of your background.

Good luck!

John,

are you talking about multiple exposure? I am sorry but i didnt understand exactly what you mean. I first shoot the city without flash and then shot the person with the flash?

and also i searched the dragging the shutter. do you guys think it will be enough to capture the city lights at 1/15 sec at f5.6 for example? because i shoot city scenes without people in the picture, with 1 min at f8. then i get a very clear nite scene.

My question would be, you have to light them somehow..how can they not look flashed? I think you either put two photos together in photo shop or flash her at the beginning of the shot and leave the aperture open for another minute at f8...the only problem will be if there are lights behind her...you can also point your flash way back at the background after she has left and manually fire it again...so the light goes way back

if you need the models try <a href="http://www.ftvstudio.com" alt="fashion tv model and photographer network"><b>fashion tv studio model network</b></a> or post your photos

regards