Does any 1 use Miicrotek scanners ?

I'm looking to clean things up & get a few more options. At present

time i have a Minolta Dual IV film scanner & a Cannon Canoscan 8400

flat bed. Am looking at the Microtek i800 scanner combine both with

more scanning options. Would like some feed back if any of you have

any experiences with their scanners...Thanks jared.

I use an 1800f for medium and large format negatives and get excellent scans with Silverfast AI6 software. However, 35mm scans are somewhat below par, so I still use my old Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II for that. The Multi II will also do medium format, but I dislike the glass holder, and the one-negative capacity vs. four negatives in the 1800f.

Hi Jared,

I've been using scanners for about 10 years now and have used Microtek products for the last 8 or so. They make a high quality product with specific features like glassless scanning that put them ahead of most other scanner manufacturers when it comes to having the patent on the best technology. The i800 is a great product that would do what you're looking for, a little bit of reflective and positive scanning. If you want a higher end scanner I would look at the 1800f or the i700 if you want something a little less pricey. Either way I would strongly consider them if you're looking for a excellent scanner.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 6400XL (11x17) at work & a 4800 & Nikon LS4000

I like the ScanWiz Pro software, although I use Vuescan for my LS4000

Compared to those units, the i800 I have (just a week now), fusses & delays quite a bit (15sec?) after you press the scan button & before it starts moving the scanhead. The reflective I've been working on is great. The holders for transparency seem to work good. For the record, the lid has a removeable insert and becomes a moving light source for the scan-head when doing transparencies. Lamp-glass-transparency-glass-scanhead light path FYI. I sourced out a TMA (transparent media adapter) head for my 6400xl years ago but was never happy (i.e. TOTALLY USELESS)with the results (light flare messing the transparency scan). So far, I'm pleased with what's coming off the scanner.

I'm going to experiment on weighting down (with glass) 110 negatives as some results from last night were less than perfect.

The main reason for the purchase is to archive old, non 35mm negs & family prints that don't have negatives.

No comment on 35mm neg or slides yet(I have the LS4000).

Promising.

Robert Wilson

I have to agree that the i800 fuses and all that. It is PAINFULLY slow when using ICE! I am

not very pleased with mine at this point--an understatement.

I'm scanning slides from the 60s and 70s with very poor results. Each slide requires

extensive sharpening and still looks like crap, for the most part. The slides look so nice

when in the prescan mode, but when they complete the scan, it's disappointing to say the

least.

I've spent too many hours over the past two weeks getting disappointing results, so I'm

going to look into a dedicated film scanner and go from there.

Good luck with the i800 if you choose to purchase one.