My first Leica pictures... St. Albans, England.

daniel_katz2

Well here you have it, my first Leica picture ever. Shot with my M3

and unfortunately the first lens I Could get my hands on which is an

Industar 22 f2.8/55. Some of them are a bit underexposed because I

guessed the exposure but they turned out OK. All of the photos were

shot on Fujichrome Astia 100F and cross-proccessed C-41 and then

color-corected in photoshop since all the photos were totally red

intially from scanning (could be do to my crappy scanner, a plustek

7200 scanner)<div>00Ec5i-27122984.jpg.afe8460326a7a20e4fb445f4b201f42c.jpg</div>

The cross processing made the negatives totally green (the color spectrum oposite of red). The 4x6 prints I got turned out ok however a few of them were fairly red. So I am guessing the lab did color corrections as well, the film was expired for almost a year now as well so that might have added to the color shift however I did keep it refrigerated the whole time.

Daniel,

You do have a Leica in your M3, despite those that can't recognize it. I can't speak for your lens as I have no experience with it.

I can strongly recommend 'standardizing' your technique with known quantities such as well known film(s) and 'normal' processes, rather than experimenting with cross processes and other uncontrollable variables, until you 'know' your equipment a little better. Your gear has plenty to test you with before inceasing the level of difficulty.

Good luck with your photographic adventures.

Ah St Albans fond memory

Geeze years ago now one Sunday I was in that park and it began to rain, a stranger mentioned a pub was nearby suggesting it preferable to the English weather. Hard to argue so we ended up at the pub. It was close to afternoons "Time Gentlemen", (shows how long ago it was) so we all ordered 6 pints each sat in the fireplace to sink a few pleasant beers. Could have been the Fighting Cocks?

Cheers Daniel

<i>"All of the photos were shot on Fujichrome Astia 100F and cross-proccessed C-41 and then color-corected in photoshop..."</i><p>AND pushed a stop too? And guessed for the exposure, with slide film? <p>For your first roll with your M3 you do this? For god's sake why? What were you trying to accomplish exactly?<p>For someone who was so choked up when opening the box of his M3 I'm at a loss to understand.

If you had fun with the body and the lens, keep on firing. Getting started with a rangefinder can take a little time to get used to. You seem to understand what you were doing and the results and you can refine as you like as you move forward. Have fun with it.

One of the first photos I posted made with a Leica IIIf and 5 cm Elmar f3.5 lens drew the comment that it was 100 per cent bokeh, that was from the illustrious and now defunct Grant, which I took to be negative in the extreme. So sharp comment is par for the course on this forum.

Hang in there.

my presentation on the IIIf can be found at http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=305851

I have nothing against doing "freakky" (sic) things to film stock and creativity but to what end were they done here? That's what I am wondering. Push a stop, cross process, guessing his exposure for Astia 100 film? I see little as to how any of this created a more expressive or somehow interesting photo shoot or took advantage of his equipment in any way. After all the thread is introduced as his " first Leica picture ever".

It's too easy to take the simple route of "do what ever you feel like Daniel".

I do not think it's trying to discourage Daniel's free spirit as much as wondering...

I like your very first shot. It has a lot of backlight, yet you were able to take care of this by guessing the exposure. Expression and mood are definitely there. Kudos to you.

You might want to pay a bit more attention to focus. Composition is OK with some shots, others a bit uninspired. Altogether great results. Keep posting!