Fine tuning filter selection (NDGrad and CP) for Contax 645

milan_moudgill

Responses to earlier posts have been very helpful. I wanted to take a rain

check before putting my money down.

I am looking at the B+W or Heliopan CP and the Singh-Ray or Lee ND Grads.

All my the lenses are 72mm dia.

I wish to keep the choice of filters independent of whether I may graduate to

LF (filter size choice will be based on my Contax 645 kit)

QUESTIONS:

1. I did a search on at Adorama. Even within BW and Heliopan there is a wide

range in cost between various 72mm CPs... multicoapted, wide angle, slim

and kaesemann. Depending on the combinations ( mix of multicoapted, wide

angle, slim and/or kaesemann) the costs vary between 100 to 200$. What is

recommended?

2. The Lee system seems to include (on their website) a 'foundation kit' that

takes 100mm filters (other sizes can be adapted). What size of filter (NDGrad)

is advised? Shall I stick to the full 100mm NDs or is there a smaller size that is

more sensible a choice?

3. Again in the Lee system, should I be looking at the standard or wide angle

adaptor rings for my 72mm lenses? My widest lens is the 45mm.

4. The Lee foundation kit gives an option of attaching a 105mm accessory

ring instead of the front cover, enabling a CP to be attached - allowing for the

ND and CP to be used in conjunction with a wide angle lens. Is this a better

solution than putting the Lee system ahead of a 72mm screw on CP?

If I do go for the former, what size of CP will I need... will I need a 105mm

CP!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Milan

Milan, <br><br>

1. The Kaesemann is the best quality. See also 4. <br><br>

2. The Lee ND grads are sized 100 mm x 150 mm. As far as I know they do not come in a

smaller size. <br><br>

3. I have to pass here. The standard adaptor can be used with moderate wide angle lenses

like the 50 mm CZ Distagon for my Rollei 6008. <br><br>

4. I have this set up with the 105 mm adaptor ring on the foundation kit. It works fine.

Mounting the CP on the camera first and then the Lee system on the CP is not a practical

solution because the CP will need fine adjustments in the taking stage and the Lee system

would rotate too. This may be undesirable in the case of an ND Grad. Better mount the Lee

system first and set the grad. Then mount the CP on the special adaptor ring. While

rotating the grad you will have to hold the filter holder if there is a grad in it. In the

absence of a grad you can rotate the entire filter holder with the CP. You do not have to

opt for the Lee CP any 105 mm will do. <br><br>

Ferdi.

I see.

Yes, I did some additional reading... the smaller Lee filters are for the Cokin P

system. If I go for the 4x6 Lee filters then I need the Lee holder and adapter.

that is clear.

About the Kaesemann... the funny thing being that another combination - I

think the multi coated wide angle is more expensive than the Kaesemann,

which got me thinking. I will stick with the Kaesemann.

From what you say it seems that I need a 105 CP if I mount it ahead of the Lee

filter holder. The advantages are evident. However I may be using the CP on

its own, more often than the combination. Which means, if i go for a 105 i will

be stuck with always using the filter holder.

thanks for the advice.

can anyone else sharpen this thread?

Milan,

Ferdi has answered most of your questions adequately; so I'll provide some of the 'thread sharpening' that you requested.

Lee (and Singh-Ray) do make graduated filters in the smaller Cokin P size; but that is of value only if you are using the Cokin system. If you go with the Lee system, then you will need to use the 100 x 150 mm. filter size. Of note is that HiTech filters can also be used in the Lee holders, but they are about an inch shorter (roughly 100 x 125 mm.)

If you wish to economize and only get one adapter, then go with the wide-angle adapter for all of your lenses. The determining factors here are your 45 mm. lens and the number of filters you may be stacking (e.g., using a grad and a polarizer at the same time). As noted in your related prior thread, the wide angle adapters are metal and the standard ones are plastic; in the long run the former may be more durable. Conversely, I have tested both types and the standard adapters due tend to rotate more smoothly than the wide-angle ones.

In the long run you may well find that you will need two polarizers, 105 mm when using grad's and 72 mm. when you're not. This would be affordable if you didn't go with the Kaesemann which, if you don't normally shoot in harsh environments or overly humid settings, usually don't warrant the heftier price. My advice would be for you to buy a 77 mm. warming polarizer, and a standard polarizer in the 105 mm. size -- of course both would need to be circular polarizers :-)

Be aware that 105 mm. polarizers can be heavy and pricey; I bought my 105 mm. linear Heliopan from KEH in exc. condition for 119 $US. Of note is that this particular filter is roughly as deep as the filter holder with a single slot; there would be no reduction in added depth if one instead stacked a tandem filter holder and used the Lee non-rotating polarizer. The former has an advantage in that this particular filter has front threads that allow the use of round 105 mm. screw-in lens hoods; this is a lot handier than what would be required if one wanted to use the rectangular Lee compendium hood with a polarizer -- figure it out and you will see what I am talking about.

Milan,

The Kaesemann is the same quality as other B+W filters; it's just better sealed against moisture and humidity.

If you feel you need the 105mm Circ. Pol. but also envisage using pols on their own(no grad), you could buy a 72 to 105 Step Up ring. That way you could use the larger diameter filter directly on your 72mm Zeiss lenses.

What lenshood do you anticipate using?

Ah, lens hoods!!

Now that is another animal that I have not even begun understanding. Colin,

could you warm me up to the issues involved, and to where I could do

additional reading.

KIT: Contax 645, 45, 80, 210 (all 72mm dia lenses). To use CP and 4x6 ND

Grads. Any recommendations on a lens hood?

I do not use a lens hood at all when using the Lee filter system. I am usually wearing a hat to

cover any hair left from sun or rain. When exposing I shield the front lens with the hat. Or I

use my hand to do this. I have seen top landscape photographers doing exactly the same.

Adding a compendium or hood to the stack is just a bit too much for me. My advice would

be: try without a hood first. Use the money saved for a Tilly or any other fine hat.

Milan, If you go for the Lee 105mm Cir.pol., I don't think you can use their bellows lenshood. However, it may be possible to attach the lenshood directly to the polariser, if it has front threads.

You may wish to email them for clarification.

If workable, it would look like this:

72mm to 105 step up ring on lens, with the polariser screwed to this. Bellows lenshood attached to polariser with 105mm adapter ring.

I don't think it's possible to mount the polariser forward of the bellows lenshood. Even if it were, rotating this filter would be difficult.

My set-up is based on Cokin "P" I attach the B+W circ.pol. directly to my lens; a Cokin filter holder is screwed to this via their 72mm adapter; Grads(if any) are placed in the slot(s) and a Camera Bellows lenshood is attached to the Cokin filter holder. With this set up, I am free to rotate the polariser independently of the grad(s)which can be rotated/angled/raised or lowered in their mount. All filters are rearward of the lenshood. This system works extremely well in my landscape and nature photography utilising my Zeiss 45 through 140mm lenses

Hope you can understand this...it's easier to do than explain.