Very cheap Leica M7 alternative. Also Leica R alternative.

OK, what I really want is an M6 with a Summicron 50. But........in the meantime. How

about a Canon SLR with AE and a 50mm Summicron? All told this set-up cost me $150. I

get AE, a Summicron, and a lightweight combo, with life-size viewfinder. I can focus with

both eyes open. I lose, low light capability, and a more lighteweight compact camera. Still

it works very well as a Leica R alternative.<div>00EKzy-26722084.jpg.563e5da62bdca474ae9988795256c461.jpg</div>

It's a long story. I got the lens with an SL and a 135. The whole deal was $250. I sold the

135 for $275, and the SL for around $180. So the 50 cost me -$200. Go figure!

I am very keen on the Leica R lenses I have. I really liked the 135, but I traded it for a 90

that I like even more. Leica SLR gear is the hidden secret. The stuff is available very cheap

if you keep your eyes peeled. And it really is that much more superior to all other SLR

lenses.

What you have there, Claude, is a great little street shooter. I put a 28R on my AV-1, using that adapter, set for hyperfocal at maybe, f8, and use the resulting dim viewfinder picture for framing only. Actually, its fun to use a $400 lens on a $40 body. Using the 50, you can focus wide open, then stop down. Actually the AV-1's viewfinder isn't all that bad. Hint: if you have a lot of sky, push the little compensation button on the side to give it a stop and a half more, or the sky will cause the AE system to underexpose. When I try to use a Leica R 90 on the AV-1 or even on my F-1 with one of their truly bright screens, I have trouble focusing accurately.

Dunno, Claude, still trying to figure this one out. I am doing OK focusing the Canon 85 f1.8 on all Canon bodies, but can't seem to focus the 90 f2.8 Leica R on a Canon F-1, or even on a Leicaflex SL. SLOOOW painstaking stuff like extreme close-ups seem to be just fine, infinity is fine, but I am having trouble with anything in between. I do notice that I cannot focus my eyes on some things at about a meter away. I think the problem is my eyesight.