Schneider 300mm f/4 Apo Tele-Xenar for Rollei

larry_leung1

I have used a number of lenses (40mm, 50mm, 55mm, 80mm, 90mm, 75/150mm, 150mm, 180mm and 300mm). For portraitures I like the 80mm, 90mm and the 75/150mm (on camera support). Personally I find medium format tele lenses too bulky. You are probably not going to realize a high cost/beneft yields on your investment. For the years I have my 300mm I used it only a couple of times. On the other hand, I really enjoy using the 90mm for people and fashion shots. In studio, I like to use the Schneider zoom lens, even during people shots. I prefer the zoom over the 180mm in studio. Good luck.

I have the 250 and a 350, but would never think of using them for portraiture. As a matter of fact, I never think of using them without a tripod. I like to work free-hand with portrature.

On the other hand, I LOVE my 75-150 Variogon and have had considerable success with it for that purpose, even though I have knicknamed it the "VeryOhMyGod this is heavy" but it is very capable, and almost Leica like in bokeh. I have also used an older 150 for shooting pet portraits (at longer distance). It is very compact.

I'd reach for a fast 180 (and 1.4x) before a 300; and for the 300 price, I'd go for the Variogon.

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/995697-lg.jpg

Cheers,

Ray Hull

• 2 years later...

This thread may be bit dusty, but nevertheless:

The lens is great, but heavy. Handholdable for a short amount of time, but fast shutter speed advised. Only down point, the integrated lens shade cannot be used with a polarizer.

I created a flickr goup for the APO Xenar if anybody is interested:

Rollei Schneider Apo-Tele-Xenar 300 mm f/4 HFT PQ