ETRSi AE-III finder problem

darcy_lorimer

I am brand new to MF, and have wanted to get a kit since I first used

a Rollie TLR many years ago. I finally pulled the trigger and got an

ETRSi with 50mm and 75mm PE lenses, 135 Wide back (for panoramic

images), and AE-III metering finder (all in exc+ condition from KEH).

But when I mount the metering finder and turn it on, I get a flashing

ERR in the finder and no meter reading. Spot, average, AE, or manual

gives the same result. I don't have the manual for the finder, and

the ETRSI.pdf file on the Tamron site is of limited use for the AE-

III.

I read somewhere in a previous post that this is due to a lens

mounting issue, but the finder behaves the same with both my 75 or 50

lenses. I have cleaned the gold contacts on the lenses, body, and

finder, but no effect. Since I just got the equipment, I have not had

any chance to put film through it yet. Is it time to return the

finder to KEH?

D'Arcy

have you tried adjusting the exposure compensation and the film speed. Any dirt in the contacts will cause the error reading. Also try moving the exposure adjustment switch. This is a small slide switch underneath the finder just above glass where the focusing screen goes it is marked 1 and 2. Also try setting everything to values that should give a reading, say 100asa, F5.6, 1/250, no exposure compensation. If that does not give any readings I think you have a fault.

Don't forget to try new batteries as well, the finder can stop working whilst the camera still thinks they are all okay.

Simon

Simon:

Thanks for the help. I tried moving all the switches and controls, including the ASA settings. I even mounted and dismounted the finder a number of times, all to no effect. I tried a number of ISO setting which should have given me readings within range, no effect.

Your suggestion regarding the battery is a good one. I'll replace it and see if that helps. The battery was supplied by KEH with the kit. It's a Lithium Duracell 28L with an expiration of 2014, so it should be good. If a new battery does not cure the problem, I guess the finder goes back to KEH.

Put in a new lithium battery, but still no joy. I noticed that Bronica recommends silver oxide first, alkaline second, and lithuim last. Lithuim is what I can easily buy at my local stores, I have never seen silver oxide or even alkaline in the 6V 544 or 28L sizes.

After contacting tech support at Tamron, who was very helpful, I was told that the problem could be the finder, body, film back, or lenses. So I RMA'd the whole kit back to KEH, so they can find out what's bad.

• 2 weeks later...