Is this a good combination of components

louisek

After many searches here and at dpreview for various lens reviews and camera reviews I'm

wondering if this is a good system

Nikon D50 with the kit which has the 18-55mm DX in the kit, and then add the 180mm f/

2.8D AF ED-IF Autofocus Lens

Does it make sense to stick with the D50, and spend a little more on this add on lens. Unless

the kit lens is so bad?

Louise, the D50 is a fine camera and the kit 18-55 is a decent lens. While it is more plasticky than the 18-70 that comes as a kit with the D70, it can produce very nice results.

<p>

What are you planning on doing with the 180mm? I'm just asking as you seem set on it and you're leaving a gap in the range between 55 and 180 which I find quite useful.

It depends on what you shoot and how you shoot it -- i.e., your specific needs. Personally, I'd go for the 18-70 as a casual all-purpose lens.

The 180mm is supposed to be a great lens (and in a completely different class from the 18-55). Why are you interested in that particular lens? Do you find yourself often in situations where that lens would be the perfect solution?

The 180/2.8 Nikkor, in all its manual and auto focus versions, is almost universally considered to be an excellent lens. It's probably the most cost effective, fast, handholdable telephoto in the Nikon lineup. While the 80-200/2.8 Nikkors (other than the AF-S version) are roughly as affordable, they're also heavier and a bit less friendly to use without a tripod.

Also, the 180/2.8 seems to be a bit sharper with less vignetting at maximum aperture compared with the 80-200/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkors at f/2.8.

Based on the full size sample images I've seen online the D50 is capable of producing good enough photos to take advantage of a top notch lens. While variable aperture kit zooms like the 18-55 and 18-70 are affordable and handy there are times when the limitations get in the way: they're not as useful in low available light; and they usually need to be stopped down for acceptable sharpness.

If you want to treat yourself to one really good, sharp telephoto you could do a lot worse than the 180/2.8 Nikkor.

The 180/2.8 is one of Nikon's finest lenses. You would not be disappointed with its performance. That aside, it is too big a jump between 55mm and 180mm. On top of that, there is the 1.5x cropping factor, which effectively makes the 180 act like a 270mm lens on a 35mm camera. It is a wonderful piece of glass, but I don't thing you would find it that useful.

I suggest that you consider something in between. The 85/1.8 is also an excellent lens and reasonably priced. Used on a D50, it fits nicely into the traditional telephoto length (effectively 125mm). It is a good length for GP photography, particulary travel, landscapes, and candids.

My own experience is that a 70-200 lens is used for specialized situations - live concerts and outdoor events. I rarely use it for landscapes or people, except for special effects (e.g., very shallow DOF). Out of 4500 shots in Spain, I used it for perhaps 300. My most-used lens is a 28-70/2.8.

On a DSLR, the 180mm is on the border of the super-tele range. While it is a fine lens, exactly what are you planning to use a super-tele for? In particular, IMO it is a big drawback to use a super-tele without a tripod collar. Moreover, since it is not an AF-S, AF will be slow on a low-end body such as the D50.

The 18-55 DX is a poorly built lens. It can give you decent results, but if you can afford it, I would get the 18-70 DX that usually comes with the D70/D70s instead.