2 Quick questions about 35mm M-summilux asph

fajar_rachmadi

Hi guys,

Gotta couple of question here about the 35mm lux asph.

When i turn the aperature ring on the 'lux, i can still move (a

little) the aperature ring beyond the 1.4 click. When i look at the

lens, the blades are also got "retracted" more than when the dot is at

1.4. Is this normal?

And is the aperature between those two are the same or not?

I also encounter this with my 50mm m summilux asph.

2nd question. Does anybody knows where to get the square hood cap of

the 35mm lux asph? I think mine just popped out and gone during one

time at a very crowded place.

I wanted to leave my camera without the square cap all the time, but

learned from this forum that the sun can burn through the cloth

shutter if i leave it under the sun for a long time.

Thanks for any info, and pardon my bad english.

In re 1st question: That part is normal, even for many older Leitz lenses. In general the construction of Leica lenses introduced from approximately 1978 and later is quite different from the previous generations in that many formerly brass components were replaced with plastic ones. This is not to say they are inferior, but the tactile feel of the workings, particularly the diaphragm rings, is noticeably lighter.

In re 2nd question: the shade cap shouldn't "pop out" if it's always attached and detached properly, which is to slide it off and on parallel to the front of the shade. If you habitually pry it off and snap it on, eventually it stretches enough so that it doesn't take much more than a rub against something to have it pop off.

The construction is still brass, steel and aluminium, not plastic!

Leica uses a very expensive construction for the aperture clicks, it uses some kind of ball bearing (I don't know the english word for this construction), but in the smaller lenses there is no space for a mechanical stop, therefore you can always go a half click further.

Let me take a guess. I think that the fact that the diaphragm can be opened a little beyond max aperture means that the lens elements are made slightly larger in diameter than the minimum, and are then stopped down just a bit to reach the nominal maximum aperture. I would venture that they do this to place the edges of the elements farther away from the optical path. That might have some benefit in reducing reflections or scattering of light rays.

Just a guess!