30D VS. 20D

aurelio

Is the IMAGE QUALITY of the 30D superior to that of the older 20D?

My question only refers to IMAGE QUALITY, please don't take into

account ergonomics, display, shutter and other aspects, I know what

30D has and 20D has not

I would only like to investigate IMAGE QUALITY: is there any real

improvement?

Thanks in advance, sincerely yours

Aurelio

The short answer is No. The 30D uses the exact same sensor and the exact same processor (Digic II) as the 20D.

The longer answer is that the 30D provides some feature enhancements over the 20D, and if any of those makes it easier for you to capture the image you want -- or to capture an image in a better way than you otherwise could -- then it would arguably yield superior image quality.

>>IMAGE QUALITY: is there any real improvement?<<

"IMAGE QUALITY" and "real improvement" are subjective terms. However, one can look at the following:

the DIGIC is the same. But, the processing now comes with more user adjustable parameters and a spot meter. Would the addition of these two produce better images? Only in the hands of a better photographer.

There is no difference that I am aware in the imaging engine and/or noise performance. If I had the 20D I would NOT "upgrade". In fact, when I had the 10D I didn't finr the 20D worth upgrading to. Now, I have a 5D and I think it was more of an upgrade from the 10D than the 20D was, especially since I really wanted a FF camera.

I think if you have the 20D it's not worth changing bodies but, if you are in the market for a new camera the 30D is a great camera.

If you take a picture with the 20D and then again with the 30D using the exact same settings there should be no difference in "IMAGE QUALITY." But if you take advantage of the new features in the 30D like 1/3 stops ISO, a 3.5% spot meter, and an LCD screen that makes it easier to verify sharpness, then the 30D may produce images with a higer "IMAGE QUALITY."

P.S.

Those are the three features that prodded me to buy the 30D and to use my 20D as a backup or 2nd lens body.