Best printer in California- Calypso, West Coast Imaging OR?

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for a digital lab in California. I live near San Diego.

I have worked with Calypso for the last two years and although the end result is very good,

the process of getting there has been very difficult...lots and lots of mistakes on their end.

They always get the job done but I am hoping that there is someone who can scan my

slides and exhibition print them (with possibly some PS work if necessary) that will make

the entire process enjoyable rather than a nightmare.

Please let me know if you have a printer who you like. Not Costco please!

Thanks,

Well I think WCI are good enough to send my work 6000 miles for printing, and I could get functionally the same service from my London lab. They've printed from maybe 250 different slides for me on a LightJet and more recently a Chromira, and I think they do a fine job with few problems. I always get a proof sent to me so issues get spotted before prints are made, and they work well via e-mail. Can't say I've worked with Calypso though so can't compare.

WCI used to offer LightJet. They bought a new machine about two years ago and voted for the Chromira instead. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, and the files they hold, originally produced for printing on the LightJet, work fine on the Chromira. This isn't something to get concerned about IMO and they do have a description on their web-site

http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/info/FAQ/faqchromira.html

What problems did I have with Calypso? You would not believe it...as I said they did make

every attempt to correct their mistakes but just as an example I had them scan my slides

which they then proofed. I made some changes such as cropping and when they sent the

"final" prints they were uncropped. They printed the wrong files. Stuff like that. Over and

over and over again. Two years in a row.

Final product was good but a total headache getting there.

I'd recommend purchasing your own film scanner. They aren't that expensive compared to having Calpyso scan and work your files. I've had some prints made by Calypso and find them to be very professional. I do my own files, fill out the form, send the cd and I get the prints by mail a week later. No questions asked.

Richard, I probably should have specified that I have my slides drum scanned. It would be

a bit expensive for me to buy one of those. How much are they $50,000? $100,000?

Also this is my last trip before I get a digital SLR so since I haven't got a scanner yet I don't

think now is the time. After this year I won't need to scan.

Quang-Tuan thanks for the link. Bill sounds very interesting...I will check into it.