more yashicamat 124g follies-focus issues

I tested the focus(viewfinder and ground glass) and found them

different. the closest the viefinder focuses is about 2.1 meters and

the focal plane focuses down to 1 meter with no problem.

What can be the problem?How can I fix it\get it fixed.

I understand this is a later then 1970 camera but classic camera

enthusiasts seem to tinker and fix their cameras by themselves so I

turned here.

Thank you in advance.

I've never owned a 124G, nor a Yashicamat for that matter...

I have adjusted the focus on Rollieflex and Rolliecords, and a Ricoh TLR before. These should be about the same as far as adjustments go.

I put a ground glass across the film rollers, and focus on something with thin sharp lines, usually one of my wifes knick-knacks. Once I have that perfectly sharp, I adjust the viewing lens to match. The camera CAN NOT move during this operation, or you have to start from the begining again.

It isn't hard to do at all. In the end, you will be amazed at how easy it actually is.

I use a putty knife because I'm cheap. Normal people use a spanner wrench. The little notches on the front element of the taking lens will change the focus. Just turn it back or forward until the focus is right.

I don't know if this is the "proper" mode of adjustment, it's what I did and I get perfectly sharp exposures.

Hope this helps.

Hi Michael

Jeff is correct, although he mistakenly substituted "taking lens" for "viewing lens" in his second post... On some TLR's you can adjust the viwing lens without any disassembly, but others have a locking ring and you need to remove the front fascia to access it before you can turn the lens.

Good luck,

Wayne

I don't work on Yashica products, however the best way to adjust the focus is to remove the front cover, find the locking ring on the viewing lens, and then loosen it. Set the camera at a set distance, with the focus knob at the same distance, then rotate the viewing lens until sharp focus is achieved. Remember that there is depth of field at the ground glass and set the viewing lens, so there will be a range of in focus settings. I like to split the difference, when doing this.

Also, now you must take and check that infinity is also in focus, if not then the ground glass may need to be shimmed up or down. so that both near and distance focus are the same.

Mark

I have a Rolleiflex 3.5E, is this the proper way to adjust it? I noticed that at like 4' or 3' set on the focus knob, everything is in good focus except the viewing lens. Note: I will stretch a piece of frosted tape across the film rails to focus onto. I wonder if it would be necessary to install a glass plate to insure that the film would stay flat. Any comments on this.

I believe that you should focus the taking lens at the film plane on a gound glass or other focusing screen at a known distance. Then, shim the viewfinder focusing screen to match the focus image. In most situations, it should be unnecessary to actually move the lenses or lens mounting platforms.

-Paul

Michael,

I had focus issues with my 124G, images looked blurry and sharp at the same time across the

ground glass, I tried several adjustments and finally took it to be repaired which resolved the

issue, great cameras when they work!

Good Luck!

Todd

I've never had to shim a focus screen when setting focus on a TLR. If a screen differs in thickness from the original it may however be necessary. If you adjust the viewing lens to the taking lens at a close distance, focus should also be the same at infinity. It's wise to check a variety of distances to confirm it's correct once you've made an adjustment.

The distance scale on the focus knob is a separate issue and can be adjusted by loosening it's locknut and turning it on the shaft before re-tightening the locknut. I do this when the camera is focused to infinity - other distances on the scale should then be correct.

Cheers

Wayne

Michael, if the taking lens is in focus at infinity, then all you should have to do is reset the viewing lens. You do not shim the mirror for this. You need to take off the front leather, and remove the front plate (facia). It's the cover plate that the shutter button is mounted in. (4) screws.

Then looking down at the top of the camera, as you rack the focus out a little you will see a slot near the viewing lens. In the slot is a screw. If you loosen that screw a turn you will be able to thread the viewing lens in and out. Set the camera at infinity, screw the top lens in or out until it shows focus on the ground glass, and snug the screw back down.

Check you camera at a close distance, and make any critical adjustments the same way you check for infinity. Check infinity focus again, just to be sure, and you're done.

It's my opinion that you shouldn't loosen the focus knob unless you know what you are doing. One wrong turn and you'll be taking the side covers off.