EOS 350D + Battery Grip

17-40/4 EF L

50/1.8 EF

70-200/4 EF L

this way I get very good optics which are also usable on FF

In 2-3 years I think FF bodies price will lessen, then I will buy a

FF EOS body (perhaps a used 5D) and sell the 350D body or keep it as

backup

EOSmen and EOSwomen of Photo.net, do you think it's a good plan?

From your pictures in your folders, you look like quite a good landscape and architectural shooter, and not new to photography. A beautiful country you live in and great photos !

The kit that you have suggested is a very good one, especially the lenses. The f4 of the lenses should not be a problem for you if you shoot landscape and use tripods mainly. The 350d is also a very nice dSLR with very high image quality, however, I would seriously consider testing out the 20d or 30d before you buy the 350d. The reason is that the viewfinder is a lot smaller than the 20d or 30d, and especially the 5d. If you are used to film SLRs, you will think that the 350d viewfinder is very small. If you can live with the smaller viewfinder of the 350d, then it is a great camera. The smaller size of the 350d is also a good thing if you travel a lot, and need to travel as light as possible.

Good luck !

Sounds good looks good but you sure you need the Battery Grip? If you do then go for it, I just think its a waste of money. One more thing if you have extra money to spare I would get the 20D instead of the 350D/XT. Take care.

DK.

You didn't state for what you will be using it. If it's accurate for us to assume that your portfolio contains the types of photos you will be taking (architecture/landscape), then I can't see what benefit you would gain by going with a 20D over the 350D -- or even any benefit of having the grip, for that matter. Spend the extra money on lenses, or a good tripod/head.

On the other hand, if you will be using it for photos that are not represented in your portfolio, then you should tell us what your needs will be. Otherwise, the responses to your question won't be accurate for your needs.

Aurelio,

That's exactly the kit I'm shooting for.

I bought the 350D with grip and the 70-200 f/4 lens; I already had the 50 1.4 from my film days. I have a Vivitar 19-35 that's really bad, however I have twice been steered away from upgrading it to the 17-40 f/4, once by the 100 2.8 Macro and another by the 300 f/4 IS...

I think your set is a nice all-purpose set. I would probably look at the 30D if I were you. Had it been available when I purchased the 350D I would have probably gone for the nicer model.

Buona sera!

Ignacio

I'm with you on the 350D, especially given your plan to a) spend your money on lenses and

b) replace it with a full frame body before long.

I didn't check your portfolio, but I noticed that one person said you like to do landscapes.

What arguable advantages the 20/30D might have over the 350D are lessened if this is the

case. The quality of the images you capture with the 350D will be equal to that of the

more expensive 1.6 crop factor bodies.

The 17-40, 50, 70-200 combination works well. I've used the same setup. I find myself

using the 17-40 perhaps 75 percent of the time. I tend to use the 50 when it is the right

length for a particular shot since it is so sharp, and for indoor shooting where the wider

aperture (I have the f/1.4) is useful. I have the 70-200 f/4 and it is a fine lens as well.

Your plan sounds something like mine. I'm also going to stick with my 350D until I

upgrade to full frame and in the meantime limit my major purchases to lenses that will

work well with the future full-frame body.

Dan

I'm lucky to have sold my 350D. It's way to small for men's hands! Just tested a 20D; very ergonomic and easy to use; the second wheel is great ( manually shooting with a 350D is terrible ). I'll get a 30D with EF-L lenses to be able to upgrade to a 5D later.

Hello Aurelio, I have the same lenses on my 20D, it's a very good selection that will serve you very well.

I don't know the price of the 350+grip, but if you want a larger and more solid camera in your hand, go with the 20D. The manual for the 20D says the battery is good for 1000 shots (without flash or IS), so that ought to be equal to the grip capacity.

Just my opinion of course. P

Hello friends,

my "policy" is: some good FF lenses, with the less camera body possible now, waiting for FF bodies getting cheaper to get my "definitive" body.

Your answers do confirm my plan is fine,

Thank you very much!