What percentage of the time might you use your 70-200 IS lens during a

normal wedding?

I've had the opportunity to use my brand new 70-200 IS lens just last

weekend for a few minutes in a rather large church setting (I wasn't

the "paid" photographer so out of respect I held myself back) and I

was a bit taken aback at how tight everything was and how much I

missed shots that were Not long range in a contained area like a

church or even a larger reception hall.

When do you use it and how often? Any tips are most welcomed.

William, I find your question a little strange.

You seem to state when to use your own lens quite clearly. "Tight quarters", wider lens. Larger room, longer lens.

If you find you're missing shots, switch lenses. The 70-200 will be of no use to you if the subject you're shooting is a few steps away.

That said... you can always back up a little and shoot at 70mm if you're in a jam and don't have time to change the lens.

This idea that buying a lens of any kind will make someone take better pictures is just false. People are convinced that all they need is a particular lens, and it will fastly improve their photography. It just really isn't the case most of the time.

It's just a tool. Use it when your wide angle isn't working for you.

William

I dont use my Nikon 80-200 F2.8 all that often. Often with outdoor weddings I will cover part of the ceremony with it and go in for some tight headshots. It allows you to capture a lot of emotion on peoples faces without getting too close. With the 1.6 conversion factor it becomes a 300mm lens so I use a monopod with a swivel head.<div>00FmLr-29025884.jpg.67cb176ec1f6779c979f1d8745b6ac6a.jpg</div>

The responses are appreciated.

The use in portraiture is interesting to me; just getting started and i bought the 70 - 200 is usm for the long range wedding shots but I had not considered it a portraiture lens.

Any feedback on those who have used it as a portraiture lens ... when, where, how many people, what circumstances would be helpful. I'm experienced enough to "guess" but actually Real Life experience is always such a helpful step along the road.

Thanks to all.

Darice, in answer to your question: because it is a huge lens. There is nothing wrong with the

images, it's one of Canon's best Zooms. However, at the short end I'd rather use a 85/1.2

(which is also huge, but much faster) and at the long end I prefer a 135/2 which is much

smaller, also faster... and perhaps Canon's best longish lens, second only to the 200/1.8 (I

carry a little 1.4X for the 135/2, but have never needed it).

I use mine a good 60% of the time for weddings.

Ceremony - Great for super close ups without having to be on top of the couple. Great for large churches when you are forced to stay towards the back of the church. Great for balconey shooting.

Cocktail hour - Great for candids from the sidelines.

Getting ready - Great for zooming in close for expressions and I don't have to include the messy room in the shot.

Couples - They're not as aware of me and therefore - less self-concious.

Reception... Same as for Cocktail hour.