Rolleiflex 2.8E ASA setting, pls help!

ike k

Hi alll,

I just got the rolleiflex 2.8E type I and so far the shutter speed and aperture are correct

from 1/500 to B also the light meter read normally. Now I have bit confusion how to set

up the ASA film speed as it is different from the 3.5F I used to have. On 3.5F it has

indicator on 64-400 speed but on this 2.8E I don't see any. I tried the online manual but it

doesn't say anything about it. So any advice on how to put the correct film speed on this

camera? thank you for all the help and really appreciate it!.

iKe

Ok, read this carefully because you have one of the low production oddities as far as

meters are concerned. This can be confirmed if you have a little lever switch on top of the

nameplate on the left side which, when pushed down, show a red dot visible. That red dot

with lever indicates a meter sensitivity switch. If you don't have the lever, just follow what

is below regarding the setting of film speed:

1) The focusing knob doubles as the film speed setting knob for the meter. Here is the

way Rollei says it: " A new focusing knob has now been designed which not only performs

all the previous functions but, in fact, contains the meter portion of the photo-electric

exposure meter. Apart from its normal use of focusing the camera and acting as a film

type reminder panel, it contains a needle working against a scal on the front of it and an

extra scal calibrated in light values round its periphery. A further extra scale in DIN and

ASA supplies the film speed to the meter and also acts as a reminder of the speed of the

film in use."

"To use the meter, first set the film speed in ASA by turning the outer milled edge to the

limit of its free travel, then forward for a higher speed or back for a lower speed, and

continue turning until the necessary film speed has been reached. Now point the camea at

the subject and turn the same milled edge round the front periphery until the red needle

on the meter is opposite the datum line. This can be seen through the top transparetn

plastic housing (on the focus knob). The light value indicated can now be read on the

black scale."

Now for the oddball part. I used to have one of these cameras but don't any more so I will

just have to paraphrase what Rollei says. That is, behind the meter cell on the front of the

nameplate is a special shutter/filter device because internally the meter is too sensitive to

use in bright sunlight. Thus the little lever should cover the red spot on the top left of the

nameplate panel and the meter will be calibrated for daytime use. However, when you go

inside, or on a dark day in the shade, if you press the lever down, the internal meter filter/

shutter flips out of the way so that you make use of the full sensitivity of the meter. In

this case, the red dot is visible to alert you that your meter is operating in the "high

sensitivity" position.

I hope this helps.