They are all ok - I use:

onemodelplace

modelmayhem

musecube

freelancemodels

I've done both TFP and hired models through them. Alot of the models

that you will send emails to will not reply - they just put their

image on the site for fun.

Yes, I am beginning to notice that myself. So, what is the best way solicit people for TFP work? I am not so comfortable with the "Hey, I am a photographer and I would like to take your picture approach". It seems vaguely creepy.

Bob,

I have hired models from both MM and onemodelplace. In general, they are good sites to find models. The problem with them is that a lot of aspiring models will put up a few pictures and then give up on the idea of actually modeling. On OMP, I always check to see how long it has been since there was activity on the models posting. If the model hasn't put up anything new for 300 days, chances are they really aren't interested.

I have about a 50% response rate. If I need two models for a shoot, I will contact four.

As for approaching models, be professional and plan the shoot out ahead of time. In my contact e-mail to the model, I describe what I have in mind for the shoot, where it will be held, when, compensation (money paid or number of prints to be provided to the model), make up, clothing, are travel costs covered, etc.

I don't want a model to waste my time, and I try not to waste theirs.

Allen's experience is pretty much what mine has been.

To make the process of contacting models easier/quicker, I've got a Word doc I use that has a lot of basic information spelled out - who, what where, when, how and why. As you're looking through portfolios, the better models will typically spell out all the information they want to see in the initial email. 90% of the doc I use stays the same and I just modify it to coincide with what my goals are for the shoot I'm emailing the model about.