Wide and telephoto for Leica CL

bernard_frank

Since I needed to do some trade-in, I had to let go of my Leica gear (I know, I regret it

already... sort of), and I have pared it down to only a very nice Leica CL and the great

Summicron 40. Now, I am looking into wide angle (21/24/28) and 90 mm for the CL.

What would you recommend for a not too generous budget?

Thank you.

Bernard, I have accumulated several Leicas since my first one in 1953, but the only one that always travels with me is my trusty CL with the 40mm Summicron. The 90mm f:4.0 tele Elmar "C" is a superb lens (and uses those same, miserable, series 5.5 filters), although I tend to carry the equally small f:2.8 Tele-Elmarit. I wonder if the 15mm Voigtlander/Cosina will work on it?

Hmmm, you are right Jerry. For some reason, I thought the base length of the CL was close to the base length of an R2 and I've had no problems focusing the APO 90mm on my R2. But I just foundt that the effective base length of the CL is 19mm compared to 25 for the R2, and 28 for the Minolta CLE. I guess the CL really is just too short for an APO 90.

28mm is nicely spaced from 40, and is a very handy focal length. The 25mm VC is also a thought, but a lens that wide often takes in a little too much foreground (although there are other times when it's just right). And I would either go with the 90 f/4 that was made for the CL--either the Elmar-c or the Rokkor--or else consider a 90 tele-Elmarit. The latter may overtax the CL rangefinder when used at close range at f/2.8, but at greater range it should be fine. Focus is always accurate at infinity!

The 90/4 is a terrific value and was made for the CL, so its also a terrific match. On the wide side, if you're on a budget, get the 25/4 Skopar, but you'll need the accessory viewfinder. The Minolta 28/2.8 M-Rokkor is a nice way to go since you can just generalize that the view of the entire CL viewfinder covers approx. 28mm, but they're pricey, around $500, but in the Leica world, sometimes that's a steal! Most if not all of them will show some white spots around the outer edges of the front element, mine has some, but if its not too bad, it's not noticeable in the end result, the photos. I bought the 25 Skopar and then I found a 28 Rokkor. I keep both of them. My CL or Bessa kit is 25-28-40-75-90. The CV 75/2.5 is a really nice lens, you might try that instead of a 90.

How about a CV 28mm f3.5 or a Kobalux 28mm f3.5 both are very compact (esp. the Kobalux) and make a great wide for the CL. I'd still go for the external finder - the whole frame on a CL is closer to 35mm than 28mm. Use my Kobalux on my CL a lot and I love the combination; really compact and a great street shooter. 90mm Summicron C also tough to beat at the price but do consider the CV 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar.

I agree with Joel, the 40 cron that Bernard already has is fantastic. The 90 whether the f2.8 or f4 are simply little jewels. (I prefer the f2.8 because you can focus correctly with all M's) The 28 is a good separation from the 40 without the need for an extra viewfinder; Just use the blurry edges of the CL's viewfinder to approximate the framing. I have the 15mm APO Voigtlander and it works great on the CL, but the viewer makes for a more fragile and cumbersome feel, besides, it's just too wide most of the time. Go with Joel's simple, light and practical, it fits with the true original intent and design of the CL.

I leave the VC 25mm viewfinder on my CL all the time, whether I'm shooting the 40 or the 25. I used to have the 90mm f/4 Elmar, but sold it. I decided I only like using a rangefinder for wider lenses. I use a 90mm Summicron on a Leicaflex, as I like to previsualize out of focus feel when I shoot.