martin_altmann

I had to replace my D70 during September/October (the old one was

stolen), now I would like to know if there is any way to put the image

counter of the new one to a similar value of the old D70? This way, I

won;'t have images with duplicate numbers, and am not prone to

accidentally overwriting one with the other (well they are stored on

CD-copies anyway, but...). I haven't found any hint how to manipulate

the counter in the manual.

Shutter activation counter and image couter are too different things. The shutter counter you cannot reset, erase, or put back a value there. However, for file number counting, you can program it yourself. You can enter your own custor prefix etc. Just read the Nikon Guide for D70.

Furthemore, when you download your photographs to your computer, at that time, you can rename them to anything you like, withing the file naming convention limitation.

What I've done is: 1) take a picture, 2) put the card into your computer and rename the file to the last number you used, and 3) put it back in your camera and it'll start numbering following this number. I don't have my camera with me to try it. I may be remembering from a different camera. It's worth a try.

>This way, I won't have images with duplicate numbers, and am not >prone to accidentally overwriting one with the other

Martin, just be aware that no matter what settings you make on the camera, the counter only goes from 0000 to 9999, and it "rolls over" every 10,000 shots.

So unless you change the prefix every 10,000 shots, you will eventually have to deal with duplicate filenames anyway.

If you're careful to use descriptive names and dates for image folders, and regularly backup your files on CD or DVD, you'll be fine for many many years.