100~400 problem resolved

robin_sibson1

A few weeks back I posted a report of a problem with my 100~400; the

zoom and manual focus mechanisms were jamming. Fixation in London

have now sorted this out for me, and I have the lens back. Their

report says 'Complete dismantle of lens. Refit rollers and floating

screws. Service & test.'. This cost me GBP150 plus VAT, and it was

entirely a labour cost - no parts were required.

This appears to be a known design problem, alongside such classics as

the EOS-5/A2 control dial and the 50/1.4 focusing mechanism, but it

has received very little mention, at least on this forum. Perhaps

that is because the problem is less frequent and the item of

equipment is less common, but there are certainly enough 100~400

users here to make it worth sharing the information.

I had exactly the same problem with this lens after using it for a few years. Mine was one of the first in uk so is quite old now. I took it back to canon service and they fixed it and for the past 2-3 years its been fine apart from getting a bit loose due to all the use over the years. However I also have a friend who had this problem with one of the 100-400 lenses purchased recently, he took it back to the shop and they gave him a new one which has so far been fine.

I must agree with the post that says its a great lens apart from this problem.

Here in California, Canon's shop in Irvine did it in under a week, but it was $300 including shipping back. Even though the estimate didn't mention parts, when I called the center said that there were many parts replaced, but they don't list them on the order. Actually works at least as well as new. I think I purchased it in 2000. I still love the lens and the IS.

Thanks for sharing your experiences of this problem, everyone. Makes me feel better that I'm not alone! Yes, it's a great lens. I use it mainly on my numerous wildlife trips. On FF film, I felt the need to go longer, and used it often with the Extender 1.4x on the 1V, with reasonable results. On its own, it was fine, but with quite a lot of vignetting wide open at 400mm. Now on the 20D, with 1.6 factor, I seldom feel that I need to go any longer than 400mm, and 'cropping' the central part of the frame with the 20D's sensor (640mm equivalent) certainly beats blowing it up onto film with the Extender 1.4x (560mm). Blowing it up with the Extender 1.4x onto a FF sensor? Well, I'd have been in the queue (actually seems to have been a rather short queue to judge from the way prices are going) for the 5D if it had f/8 AF, but not. I suspect I am one of those people who really want a pro-quality 1.6-factor camera. Yes, I know, don't tell me, weird or what?

<I> I suspect I am one of those people who really want a pro-quality 1.6-factor camera. Yes,

I know, don't tell me, weird or what?</I><P>

Right there with you on this. Or from my perspective, a 12 megapixel 1D 'mark III' upgrade

with 1.3 factor would be super, but from what I've heard, it ain't gonna happen.