terry_evans3

Hello,

I have just purchased my first Hasselblad camera. It is a 501CF

with an 80mm CFE lens. I get confused with all of the lens models

when trying to choose the right portrait lens. The Hasselblad

website says 150mm CFI. I am trying to buy a used lens and need to

know the difference between all of the models and letters. What are

the models of lenses can I choose from when searching for the right

lens? Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Terry

The classic portrait lens for Hasselblad sistem is the 150, then come the 180 and 120, the latter is optimized for close-up so, if you intend to use for landscape too this is not the better choiche.

The letters after the focal lenght identify the kind of lens/mount.

The first (and older) lens is the C, then came the C T* with a better anti-reflection coating, the again the CF with a different shutter and better handling, then the CFI with a better shutter spring (can be installed on the CF version too) and some cosmetic and andling difference. Some focal lengt came out in the CFE version, the E stand for Electronic and is useful only on the camera body of 200 series. The F version of the lenses (without the C) do not have shutter (theya re only for 200 serie) therefore are not compatible with the camera of 500 series because these camera need a lens with shutter. For some focal lengt there is a CB version that is similar to CFI but without the capability to sisengage the shutter (for 200 series).

To me the best is 120mm S-Planar without T* coating. The Chrome version.

I'd compared with and without T* coating using Fuji Velvia and Provia slides film and found the earlier chrome version without T* caoting far superior in terms of 3D and layering...

Furthermore this focal length gives very natural perspective that is closest to naked eyes.

Terry,<br><br>"Sonnar" is the name Zeiss uses to indicate a family of lenses of a certain related design.<br>The name itself is derived from "Sonne", german for "sun". The typical "ar" ending is a bit of a mystery. It could be that it was derived from greek "archoo", be the first, or the related "aristo", the best.

Hi Terry,

I posted a similar question awhile back about the meaning of the various Zeiss lens names. Fortunately for us, Zeiss describes them all here:

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9/?Open

Q.G. is right about the etomolgy of the Sonnar name. The lenses were designed to have few glass-to-air surfaces, and for speed and flare reduction.

Have a good one,

Jon

Terry, congratulations on your new Hassy! They're amazing and wonderful cameras. When I first got my own, someone on photo.net very kindly suggested that I also buy a copy of "The Hasselblad Manual," by Ernst Wildi. This was INVALUABLE advice; Mr. Wildi's book is packed with useful and helpful material, cover to cover. It will tell you everything you need to know about compatibility of lenses, backs, accessories, etc--at least, it's always answered any questions *I* had. If you are anything like me, you'll use it OFTEN as you learn your new camera, and it will be a useful reference for years to come. Good luck, and have fun! --Ken

The �best� portrait lens has more to do w/ your shooting style than that of others. There have been many great portraits shot w/ a regular standard lens; see the legendary August Sanders work.

With this caveat, I would consider the 100mm, 120mm, 150mm, and the 180mm lenses as outstanding portrait lenses. One other consideration is whether you�ll be shooting portraits handheld or tripod bound. If handheld you may not want the 150mm nor the 180mm since at these focal lengths are harder to keep stable due to focal length/slow aperture combination. If you prefer to work more close-up as I do, then consider the razor sharp 100mm or the 120mm makro-planar.

On cost, remember its relative. When I started shooting H�bld in 1990 the prices were far higher than today. Today, the web and digi have leveled the playing field. My other camera is a Leica and if you want to see expensive���by that contrast H�blds begin looking very reasonable cost wise.

I just purchased a 150 cf t* in mint condition for $725.00. The fci lenses were about twice the cost, used. What difference will there be in the results from these two lenses?

Also, I am having a very hard time finding a flash bracket for my 501cf with waiste lever viewfinder. I will be using a Vivitar 285 flash. The Hasselblad brackets are way overpriced.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry,<br><br>You will see no difference between the CF and CFi versions.<br>Apart from mechanical and (other) ergonomical changes, the only difference between the two is that internal baffeling (stray light reduction) in the CFi is somewhat more elaborate than in the CF. You may be able to see that in extreme, back-lit shots. Or perhaps not even then.

Congratulations Terry. I think you mean you got a 501CM and an 80mm CFE lens, which kit I also started out with some 5 years ago.

For portraits the 150mmm is quite commonly used although the 180mm is also commonly used. I acquired a 180mm specifically for portraits, well before I acquired a 150mm lens for more genaral shooting since it is one of the more "stellar" Hassy lenses boasting superb sharpness. The 180mm is so sharp that some use it with a Softar when shooting closer head / shoulder portraits of women - so sharp it can show every skin imperfection!

For me and many others, the 180mm is a "preferred" portrait lens giving you more working distance from the subject and tighter head/shoulders shooting. This is one magnificent lens for whatever purpose (compresses landscapes beautifully) and is said to be more a "stellar" performer due to its far more recent design.

The 150mm (as is the case for all Hassy lenses frankly IMHO) is also a beautiful lens. Many prefer it to the 180 since it is physically a bit shorter and lighter than the 180mm, making it a more convenient all-purpose lens. I use mine a lot especially hand-held when out and about where weight is an issue (take my 1.4xe as well giving me a very sharp 210mm lens as well). But, I never use it for portraits especially if I'm seeking head/shoulders images.

At the other end of the 150mm, the 120mm is also a wonderful lens but getting a little too wide for portraits unless you're happy working closer to the subject or looking for more "whole body" images. It's quite a special lens due to its optimisation at distances shorter than infinity (and very sharp at infinity too).

So you've really got 3 choices and I suggest you consider the "wider" applications you intend so that which one you go for "fits" your kit neatly in the longer term as it grows.

If you go to Carl Zeiss' web site you'll see a page for Hassy lenses and focal length image comparisons you can trial on-line to get the comparison.

The 150 has a similar AOV to a 90mm in 135 format and the 180 is more like circa 110mm in 135 format with the 120mm being similar AOV to about 70mm in 135 format. But remember these will have DOF as per their nimonal focal lengths rather than the 135 format equivalents.

Hope this helps your deliberations.

• 1 month later...

Hi, it has been said in another photo.net thread that the old S-planar 5.6/120 would have much better flare resistance than the later 4/120 flavor.

However, scratch that and get a decent Kompendium with masks.

also CFi lenses are marketed flare improved.

I enclose an example picture using the useless 80-250 plastic hood.

--rainer