minimum aperture was 32! And the flash mode selector between X and M

has a small screw locking it in the X mode. It was rated excellent,

but the other excellent rated lenses I have bought from this vendor

has been in better shape.

It is supposed to be 4,5 wide open and 45 minimum as far as I am

informed. Has anyone ever seen this before? Or are some 180's only

f32 minimum?

What would you do about this?

ummm.... sounds like someone did a switch of glass to another lens body, perhaps the shutter of the original was shot and not knowing how to install a shutter, he just swapped out the glass to another body. SEND IT BACK!
The more you say, the less people listen.

I bought a lens where that small screw trick had been done. It's to keep you from accidently setting the flash sync to M.

The max apeture is printed on the front of the lens. There should also be a green "C". What does yours say? Assuming it says 4.5, it looks like somebody swapped shutters with another lens. That alone would be a reason for it to go back.

Care to share the name of the vendor?

Thanks you all for replying. The lens front is marked Mamiya-sekor C (with green C) f=180mm 1:4,5. It has the aperture and shutter behind the optics which fits well with Neil's description. I don't have a 127 to compare to, but i guess as has benn pointed out that this is a 180 with a shutter/aperture from a different lens.

I think I will return it. There is really no way for me to know what the true aperture is. And with such a "repair" it makes me wonder what else may be hidden.

I wrote the vendor a mail last night complaining. I think I will await their response before i decide wether to publish their name. I must say i have had only good experince with them before. So i'm a bit surprised and annoyed by this latest aquisition from them.

Thanks all for your input. I appreciate it.

The threaded mount will take any of the glass from the other lenses but the actual mount is different setting up a different front to film plane distance. The 180 doesn't have a rear cell, there is a rectangular mask, so screwing in the glass is simple enough.

It probably works just fine enough if all you paid is $50.

Gee, I can reall use that shutter if the vendor is willing to sell it to me cheap?

The more you say, the less people listen.