Questions on selecting circular polariser

kenneth y

Currently I am using a 24-105mm Canon zoom lens (filter size: 77mm)

and may be in future to get a long zoom lens of 100/120-300mm

(filter size may be 82 or up to 105mm). I am now looking to get a

circular polariser but want to seek advice on the followings:

1) Should I get separate circular polariser for each lens or one

bigger one (as per the larger lens) for use of the two lenses (cost

is a consideration but picture quality comes first)? It seems to me

that in case I use one filter for two lenses, then the original lens

hood supplied with the lens may not be fit for use (e.g. the Lee

filters) and I have to spend $$ on new hood.

2) Is it wise to get circular polariser and warm filter separately

or to get one warm circular polariser? The former may be more

versatile so that I can use either one or combine. But how about

the picture quality in case two filters are attached versus one

single warm circular polariser?

3) Which circular polariser is better in terms of picture quality:

(a) Hoya SMC Pro 1 Circular Polarizer

(b) B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Glass Filter

4) Would there be any vignetting problem for either one filter

under 24mm wide angle as stated in Q3? I am not thinking of the

slim version (for Hoya) because there is no threads on the front

part of the filter to put the lens hood.

Thanks.

1) A separate CPL for each lens size is preferable, but expensive. A CPL is most often used for landscapes, and the 24-105 is by far the most useful range for that purpose. An adapter to put a larger filter on the 24-105 may cause vignetting due to the stack height. I suggest you go ahead with the 77 and decide later whether you want/need a CPL for the longer lens, if and when you get one. Consider a much cheaper square resin filter for larger lenses.

2) I prefer my polarizers to be as neutral as possible. Warming filters are superfluous, IMO, and the effect may be hard to undo. They tend to be overused, like garlic (I'm not so sure garlic can be overused). You definitely don't want to stack filters, which leads to vignetting, ghosting and flare.

3) Both Hoya and B+W filters are excellent optically - B+W are made a little better. The SMC coating is effective and durable. B+W filters have a brass housing, whereas Hoya filters are aluminum. Aluminum is more likely to corrode or fret and stick in the threads than brass, and is more flexible (which can make them difficult to remove). Kaesemann filters have sealed edges, which makes them less likely to separate or get liquid between the elements (polarizers have a plastic film or two between two sheets of glass). I have both brands in various sizes. As long as they're coated, you won't notice any difference.

4) I have a Nikon 17-35/2.8, which does not vignette with a standard-thickness filter. Zoom lenses seem to have more wiggle-room in that regard. Everything seems to vignette on my 20/2.8. Slim filters are a PITA if you don't need them - you need a special lens cap that never stays put.

B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Glass Filter are impervious to seperation, and absolutly neutral in tone accrosed the entire filer (something most brands are not). If you can afford it, I would go that route, and one per lens. I honestly doubt Canon designed the lens without a single filter on it. You may want to test if you need to take of a UV filter when using the polarizer though.

Just a couple of points.

I have a Hoya super pro 1 slim polariser that has front threads. It is also perhaps the best polariser I've used in terms of maintaining the natural (unpolarised) hues of my subjects. I don't know that the coating is as scratch resistant as the B+W MRC coating though.

I do very often wish to polarise without warming and warm without polarising. Therefroe a warming polariser wouldn't prevent me from having to buy/carry those filters too. It might save me a few seconds if I wanted to use both, that's all. I don't believe you'd notice a difference between using one filter and two provided both are clean and relatively undamaged.

Kaesemann filters come into their own in very humid conditions where water vapour might penetrate the space between the elements and fog them temporarily. Most people don't need them (depending on where they are) and wont get any benefit from them. I have never had this problem with a polariser and neither have I had a polariser delaminate. But then I've never spent an extended time in a really humid area either.