35/1.4 (2)

zdenek

There had been two versions though with same formula but with different coatings. Early version in chrome with or without goggles, takes 41mm screw in filters and OLLUX hood. Second version in black, no googles and a few in titanium finish, takes series 7 filters and 12504 hood. You can easily tell it is the second version because the lens is not threaded to accept screw in filters. There is a very rare second version with goggles. Both are fantastic lenses by the way with smooth tones and rich color. Not usable at f/1.4 but really shines above f/2.

Continuing with Raymond's answer, HOVE FOTO shows a long production run dating back to 1961. The first series ended at serial 2166700, and presumably the second series ended when the Aspherical lens commenced production in 1990. Unlike other Leitz lenses, the aperture selector ring has two ears to facilitate f-stop selection.

I purchased my second series lens from iGavel's auction for approx $900, including box, caps and hood. The box and plastic had been opened but never mounted. I've enjoyed this as my primary lens.

My only quibble has been the use of series 7 filters; can another size also be used within the two-part hood?

My only quibble has been the 1-metre minimum focus. That's a drag. However, its size is

wonderful--very small. Wonderful little "street" lens. One nice aspect of the lens is that it has

generally been panned, ridiculed and pigeon-holed as a poor or bad lens. I believe that's kept

the lenses available (not terribly popular) and the price reasonable.

I bought the version II (mint cond) for the avail light aspect and because of its small footprint. Paid a g-note.

Can you advise what your flare experience has been?

Talking about flare, going thru the literature I've noticed the same caution about flare w/ the 75mm/1.4 and some of the other big glass wide lenses.

THKS

John, when you look at the Noctilux front element from well off-axis, the glass apears mirror-like and no longer transparent. It is actually designed to reflect away the light that comes to it from outside the picture area.