EOS 1N RS or EOS RT - Which would you choose?

sonny_jet

Hi.

If price wasn't a consideration, which would you choose?

I would really like to get my hands on one of these pellicle mirror

bodies but am not sure which to go for. I have been using the 20D

for a few months now but still have plenty of film left over from my

film days, and would really like to get back to shooting film as I do

miss it. A few years ago, I briefly handled the EOS 600/630, which

is very similar to the EOS RT and loved the build quality.

I understand the pellicle mirror and the issues that come with it

(slightly darker VF, zero blackout, good fps burst etc.)

The camera will be used for all sorts of general photography.

Particularly birds, macro and street photography.

Is there anything else I should know before purchasing one of these

bodies? Is the 1N RS a lot better than the RT ? Basically, I'm pretty

sure I would be fine with a EOS RT BUT I don't want to miss out on

the 1N RS. It's too bad I haven't been able to handle the 1N RS but

hopefully your views can help me decide.

As always, your help is much appreciated.

The EOS RT is much smaller and lighter than the EOS 1N RS. The RT is capable of taking great pictures but is not as technically advanced at the EOS 1N - no spot metering for instance. The RT is quieter.

If you just want a good EOS camera to take photos with you can't go far wrong with an EOS 100/Elan - quiet, fast and it has a great viewfinder.

Hope this helps. Henry.

Cheers Henry. I'm not looking for a second body. Just a new 'toy' to create images with and the pellicle mirror bodies have caught my eye. Truth be told, I will possibly (probably) use it for 5-10 rolls and then keep it as a collectors item. I leave serious 35mm work to my (dare I say it) Nikon fm'X' bodies or my dads Eos 3.

Spot metering of the 1N RS sounds good. Keep the valid points comming :)

<p>I've never used either; they're out of my snack bracket, and the disadvantages of a pellicle mirror far outweigh the advantages <em>for me</em>. Since you say price isn't a consideration, I'd get the 1N RS. Camera technology advanced pretty rapidly in the time between those two bodies, and I'd rather have the newer one. I doubt you'd be dissatisfied with the build quality on the 1N; it's a robust pro body with a great reputation.</p>

I own both and they are very different. In short: if you want a camera to impress people then choose the RS, for general shooting choose the RT ;-)

If you choose for the RT then check the shutter carefully before buying. The 600/RT-serie shutters have foam bumpers and most of them have deteriorated. You can have it fixed for about 70$ and it is well worth it.

Cheers people! The RS sounds like the one. I like good build quality and if it's better than than the build quality of the RT than it must be pretty decent. I have a friend who lives quite a way away from me but his local store has both cameras. The RT for approx. 100 dollars and the RS for approx. 300 bucks. How cool is that? Rock on the digital evolution...as it leaves me with plenty of cool 35mm buys, a few years ago I thought wouldn't be possible.

I love my three EOS RT's - quiet, unobtrusive, fast enough focus. If there's oil on the shutter blades you will need a new shutter - about 100 dollars - but they are great little cameras - the SLR equivalent of a Leica rangefinder.

The lack of shutter lag and the uninterrupted view while taking a picture are magic. I wouldn't have bought another camera if digital hadn't come along.

I debated this decision a while back and finally came across a boxed 1NRS and brought it.

Yes it does all it and everyone else says. The 1nrs. It is without a doubt the best Camera I

own and it often amazes me with what it can produce, particularly when anything is

moving and you are following it, ie motorsports, But...

Be aware of the 2 problems with 1nrs

The 1nrs doesnt have autofocus when in shooting rs mode, you can auto focus before but

not between shots, this you have to do manually, so not totally suited to zooms unless you

have three arms and great coordination.

&

The 1nrs suffer badly from flaring off the mirror, so be warey when shooting in low sun. I

use mine almost exclusively for wildlife bolted onto a 300 lens. It feels bloody magical.

The shutter is oooohhh and I want it as my ring tone!

I have ended up with the EOS3 as a iso800 camera for pre dawn shots (the autofocus is

unsurpassed) and the 1NRS for ISO 100/400 during the first rays, hence my warning of

which way you point the thing.

The EOS RT is not really in the same league, particularly if you are looking for posterity.

Macro is interesting but with flash at such close range there are mixed results with the

mirror. Birdlife and Long lenses are ideally suited, but stick with primes.

I would also seriously consider the 1V its nearly as good for wildlife, but the mirror black

out is frustrating by comparison given the example below.

Basically its stock purpose is life ontop of a tripod following a cheeetah hunting down a

gazelle with 300/400/500mm lens focused initially automatically then manually

throughout the action, eye glued to the viewfinder and shooting bursts of 3-4 shots at a

time. Bear in mind that a 36 exposure film doesnt last inside for very long. my first

sequence of 36 shots was over before the gazelle was caught, and I was stuck fumbling

for film/2nd camera/any-xxxing-thing and still holding my breath.