580EX cropping bug is not fixed yet

yakim_peled1

<p> A reminder: <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-

msg?msg_id=00DzOy">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=00DzOy</a> <b></b> </p>

<p> Yesterday I tested it with 1D, Elan 30 (7e), 28/1.8 USM, 50/1.8,

50/1.4 USM, 70-300 USM IS. Result: The flash zooms to the exact same

values in both cameras. </p>

<p> Canon, if you are reading this (though I suspect you don't):

Shame on you.</p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>

That's a feature and not a bug. The extra coverage is more likely to bounce off

surrounding surfaces, filling shadows for a more natural look. Incidentally, wasn't the 1D

designed long before the 580EX? I may be wrong, but I though the 430EX and 580EX only

zoomed correctly for the newest generation of cropped bodies, defaulting to FF for all

other bodies?

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"It isn't hurting anything but your batteries.

It's not like the flash isn't providing enough coverage!"

... Well, it's also hurting the pocketbook +$80 for the 580EX vs 550EX - and I believe this is

the major reason to get a 580EX instead of a 550EX! (I imagine the recycle times are similar

to the 550EX as well)

Tony

Puppy Face is right. The crop factor correction is only advertised to work with the 350D, 20D and Mark II series bodies. On the other hand, the 580 does recycle faster than the 550.

On the other hand, it seems that the much vaunted colour temperature correction feature doesn't work properly, at least on a 20D with the latest firmware that was supposed to correct the problem:

http://forums.robgalbraith.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=373775&page=4&fpart=all&vc=1

<p> <i>Puppy Face is right. The crop factor correction is only advertised to work with the 350D, 20D and Mark II series bodies. </i> </p>

<p><ul> 1. Where it is written so? If you look at <a href="http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=141&modelid=10514">http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=141&modelid=10514</a> you see that it's stated: <i> It now covers lenses as wide as 14mm, and has new features for digital SLRs - including the ability to transmit precise flash color temperature information, and vary the zoom setting to match the imaging sensor</i>. Look at the words: digital SLRs, not <b>new</b> digital SLRs or <b>some</b> digital SLRs or something alike.</ul> </p>

<p> <ul> 2. I have a friend with 580EX and 20D and he experiences the same phenomena.</ul> </p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>

The zoom feature only applies to 20D and newer cameras. Not sure the 1D-II is new enough for this support. The zoom correction factor definately would not apply to a 1D. And last I read. . . .the feature simply won't work correctly below 24mm.

The colour correction thing: No one knows how this works. Or if it works. Or even if it can possibly work if you shoot AWB.

The zoom feature only applies to 20D and newer cameras. Not sure the 1D-II is new enough for this support. The zoom correction factor definately would not apply to a 1D. And last I read. . . .the feature simply won't work correctly below 24mm.

The colour correction thing: No one knows how this works. Or if it works. Or even if it can possibly work if you shoot AWB.

Yakim: Read the second paragraph. The stuff in bold red font.

"Auto conversion of flash coverage with compatible digital SLRs.

White Balance info communicated instantly to compatible digital SLRs.".

Yes. . . a bit misleading. Say one thing in paragraph one. Say something different in paragraph two.

You always have to read the small print! I consider it a point in Canon's favour that the "small print" is big and red.

If Yakim had clicked on the specifications he would have found:

Flash Coverage

Flash head zooms automatically to cover 24mm to 105mm lenses (with a full-frame 35mm camera); Automatic adjustment for lens conversion factor with EOS-1D Mark II and EOS 20D (camera requires firmware upgrade) Wide-angle pull-down panel allows coverage with lenses as wide as 14mm (on a full-frame camera) -- full coverage not possible on EF15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens.

Canon has never claimed that it works for the 1D. You don't make technical decisions based on the marketing blurb. Every new product is "Better" than nothing, "Faster" than a snail, and "More technically advanced" than a flint hand axe. Moreover new photography products are all "Digitally Integrated" meaning that they attach to digital cameras.

OK. I cannot resist sharing this. Above I suggested that marketing speak like to suggest that things are "Better" than nothing. Now I have example of nothing is better than something. While looking over the 50/1.8 mark I entry in the Canon camera museum I came across:

"This lens was improved to become the model II by simplifying the focusing distance window and manual focus ring."

In this case the simplification of the focal distance window was carried out by eliminating it entirely. Since the 50/1.8 mk I still sells, used, for more than a new 50/1.8 mk II sells for, new, it seems that Canon was unable to convince many of their "improvements".

Yakim,

The 1D "original" does NOT have ETTL II and therefore the 580EX only communicates in ETTL I or TTL with that 1D. However, using it in manual mode works very well for times you can't get what you want otherwise. It will however save you $$ in batteries using manual mode.

As peviously stated your friends 20D needs a firmware update.

On the MKII N the ETTL II works wonders, and battery use is minimal. In fact, after almost three months I have only used three sets of batteries, where before I'd use a set every night just for a football game....huge savings there!

Help me understand this. If you take a 580 flash and use it on a 20D and a 5D both with 50mm lenses, will the flash say 50mm (or the closest focal length) when used on both cameras? Did Canon design the flash do display the focal length of the lens (for less confusion) or does the flash display the "corrected" focal length for the 1.6 factor (for more confusion)? I have a 20D with a 580 (and 550 flash) and haven't noticed any problems when using either with different L zoom lenses.

I have a 580EX on my 20D and it does zoom to the numeric value of the lens focal length. BUT, there's an icon that turns on to indicate that the unit is connected to a cropped camera. I wonder if really the head is actually zooming in further (physically) but still indicating the actual focal length on the lens. It could be that this was a software decision on Canon's part so that they did not receive calls from users asking why the unit zoomed to a value other than what it says on the lens.

I don't know if I'll be able to tell for sure, but I'll try to look at the physical position of the reflector at a given focal length with the flash on my 20D and compare it to the position of the reflector when it's mounted on my Elan II.

Further...

I suppose I could put the camera on a tripod and use the modelling light feature to look at the coverage at a given indicated focal length with the 20D and then the same focal length with the Elan II and see whether there's a difference in actual coverage.

<p> (icon of a man standing in the corner shameful, promising to himself that from now on, he will always read EVERYTHING, even those fine prints).</p>

<p> However.....</p>

<p> <i>I have a 580EX on my 20D and it does zoom to the numeric value of the lens focal length. BUT, there's an icon that turns on to indicate that the unit is connected to a cropped camera. </i> </p>

<p> Isn't it suppose to actually zoom?</p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>