What lenses do I need

ned1

I've been working as a second shooter with a D70. I've got a D200 on

order. My lenses are a 24-70 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4. I have a 85 1.8 on

order. Currenly I find myself using the 50 most often. I'll be moving

up to first shooter as soon as my new camera gets in. What other

lenses will I need? One of the first shooters I've worked with

reccomended a 200mm. I'm thinking about an 80-200 2.8 but that might

be too unwieldy. I find myself shooting in low light alot. Any advice?

What is your style? The super wides recommedned above will not be much use if you shoot in a photojournalism style, and the 80 to 200 might be perfect. You said you use the 50 quite a bit. Are you close to tour subject when you use it? Lens choice questions always seem a little silly to me. I have a 300 2.8L IS that I get quite a bit of use out of, but most people think it is insane for photographing social events. just depends on your style.

"The super wides recommedned above will not be much use if you shoot in a photojournalism style"

Sorry Robert, I have to disagree with you here. Almost all of the photojouanlistic wedding photographers prefer wide angle shots the majority of the time.

Get the great 17-55AFS, that Nikon lens is sorely missed from the canon 'crop' lens lineup. Maybe the 12-24 if you need that wide. Keep the primes and lose (with tears of regret, it's damn good) your 24-70AFS.

That gives you a fast 'normal' zoom and two fast primes. Maybe invest in a wide angle prime if you feel you need one.

Remember you know how you shoot, you know what focal lengths you use and need. You are missing the basic WA focal lengths, I wouldn't shoot a wedding without access to them.

Two main reasons I use the 50 most of the time: weight and speed. The 24-70 is indeed a fine lens, but my back and shoulders ache after about an hour of using it. Also I try to avoid flash when I can, and since the D70 is useless at any speed above 400 that leaves the 50 1.4 as my only choice. Maybe a wide 1.4 is what I need.

It is a matter of style for the most part. Some here swear by their 70-200 lenses (usually

on a full frame camera)... with a 1.5X lens factor that's a 105 to 300 zoom on a D200,

which may cut down on usefulness. The new 85/1.8 provides a 127.5 mm focal length.

On the other hand your widest focal length right now is the 24 end of the 24-70/2.8.

That's 36mm on your camera. 36 mm is a good all around focal length, but when in close

quarters it sure doesn't cut it. So, something like the 18/2.8 might be a consideration or

obviously the 17-35/2.8. That'd put you in the 25 mm range which is about the widest I'd

go when shooting people.