Stable tripod for nature shooting in cold weather - am a newbie

jennifer_blanchard

I am looking for a tripod for my canon rebels and nikon digital 8700.

I am new to the tripod arena and never had thought about tripods

before. I am not a professional by any means but I want a good,

sturdy, lightweight tripod that has a little bit of heighth to

it...who doesn't? My husband is 6'4" and I'm 5'10". I don't know

where to start. We do a lot of hiking up in Vermont and in a few

years are going to be living there. The tripod definitely needs to be

able to function in sub zero weather...I don't need plastic parts

breaking off or anything like that. I've seen tripods and ball

heads....and really have no idea what I'm looking at. I will be doing

mainly "regular" height shooting but would like the option to do low

to the ground. Can anybody help me? I'm lost. I don't want to spend

a fortune...but I don't want to be cheap either.

While my personal favorite for 35mm and medium format is my Tiltall, I think Manfrotto offers the best price/performance/selection option. I've used in winter here in Minnesota without issues (at least tripod related issues).

I think you have some compromises to make. It's my opinion that center columns should only be used in pinch and I even try to avoid full extension of the lowest leg section. So a substantial tripod may be required to give you the height you require. Also the light cameras you mentioned will also require a substantial tripod.

There are carbon fiber tripods that may give you the height and stability you need with low weight, but I've never looked closely at them.

One thing I do is get foam pipe insulation (from a Home Depot or equivilent) and wrap the upper leg section.

You need to shop around and get your hands on high-quality gear, at least for comparison. Unfortunatly, nothing you find at a discount store is likely to be worth a second look. Try to find a large camera store like Helix (Chicago) or B&H (New York). It's worth searching the archives on Photo.Net. Keep in mind that people who use high-end gear have arrived there after using lesser gear. People with lesser gear love it, but probably have never used anything better.

The most popular tripods on Photo.Net are probably the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 (or 3221 if you prefer black) followed by various Gitzo tripods. The lightest, strongest (and most expensive) are carbon fiber, which is also comfortable to use in cold weather. Aluminum is half the price for the same quality, but will freeze your hands right through your gloves at -10F (thin pipe insulation works well). Gitzo tripods are taller and lighter than comparable Manfrotto models - and more expensive. Either are built to last a lifetime.

Shop for a suitable head separately - they are completely interchangeable. A good ball head will cost 3x as much as a comparable 3-way head and more than most tripods. A cheap ball head doesn't even make a good paper weight. 3-way heads are the way to go to save money - they are just harder to carry (you get stabbed by the handles) and have poor choices for quick-release systems.

I currently use a Gitzo G-1227 carbon fiber tripod for trekking. Besides the regular column, I carry a stub column. The legs spread nearly flat with the stub column in place - the lens is only 6 inches off the ground. I'm 5'10" tall, and can barely use it with the legs extended and column down. I've owned and used a lot of other tripods (still do), but I'm comfortable with this one most of the time. I carried it all around Spain this summer.

I've owned a Tilt-All tripod for over 40 years. It's made very well (all machined aluminum), light, tall and sturdy. The 3-way head is not interchangeable, has no quick release, the colum is too long to get close to the ground with the legs collapsed. Besides, the legs have only one angle. You could invert the column - something you are not likely to find useful (if the lens is pointed between two legs, you have no room to look through the viewfinder). But for a plain-vanilla tripod that does 80 percent of what a tripod should do - it's a bargain.

You may be interested in Berlebach Wooden tripods from Germany wood is an excellent vibration dampener and works extremely well in the cold. They tend to be very fast to setup if you get the two section legs.

As for a head I'll let others ofer their suggestions I use a Large Canon Ball head made by Velbon and a Canon Ball head #10 for lighter work.

Berlebach's web site is here:

http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

Extremely high quality and extremely good customer service. A small locking lever was damaged in shipping and I took a couple of digital shots of it emailed them the photo's and that afternoon they had emailed me that a replacement had been redlabeled to me it took only two days from Germany to Oregon to have the problem fixed. Their customer service rep then emailed me about four days after I first cntacted them to make sure the new part arrived and that I had had no problems with it. This was then followed by by snail mail!!!!!

I should note that even with the little arm broken the tripod was completely functional.

be sure to look at the assessories they have ground level center posts for lay on your belly close to the ground shooting great for tiny wild flowers. Mine would fit a 6'4' guy with no problems and they have even taller versions. I use mine with up to 1200mm worth of Canon FD lenses.

beat that.

The 'right' tripod depends a bit on what equipment you want to support with it. For major

telephotos (400 mm +) you'll want a hefty tripod, and one of the best (but not the only)

choices is the Gitzo 1325, with a good ball head (Arca-Swiss B1, Kirk BH-1, RRS, etc.).

For smaller lenses you can get by with smaller tripods and there are a lot of resonable

ones out there (same for tripod heads). If you want to work very low to the ground,

consider one of the Gitzo explorers. But if you're seriously thinking of getting into big

telephotos, you'd be better of with buying a large tripod now.

A good tripod and head combination isn't inexpensive, but generally you get what you pay

for in terms of ruggedness and dependability.

If you want a good, sturdy, lightweight tripod that is good for use in cold weather, then you want to look at carbon fiber. It's the only thing that's really both sturdy and lightweight, and has the added benefit of being comfortable on your hands in cold weather since it doesn't conduct heat.

I really wanted the Gitzo 1227/1228 (as recommended above) but they are really quite expensive, $450 for just the legs. I did a lot of searching on alternative brands for carbon fiber, and there's not much out there that compares the the Gitzo. The two brands I heard of that came close were Velbon and Feisol. I went with the Feisol for lighter weight, simpler construction (it can be purchased without the center column, which can allow you to get really close to the ground and is more stable), and for the cheaper price.

I have to say, I'm blown away by how light and sturdy the Feisol is - and everyone else whose seen it is impressed as well. Check out the CT-3301N or CT-3401N models w/o the center column. The can be found at www.feisol.com for $170 or $175 + shipping.

For a head, check out the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead or the Kirk BH-3. Both are excellent and lightweight.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

I used think that a tripod was a "photo accessory." In the intervening years, I've come to accept that a good tripod is in the same category as a good lens. Yes, it is that important.

For your needs, "lightweight and sturdy" makes for an expensive tripod. One of the Gitzo CF tripods would fit the bill. Also, get a good ballhead -- Arca Swiss, Kirk and Acratech are the usual suggestions.

As to which Gitzo CF tripod will depend on what kind of equipment you plan to mount on it.

Jennifer, I suggest pricing the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods to see if this would work with your budget. I use the 1325 and like it a great deal. I have learned the hard way that you can't really save money on a tripod. The limitations of the downscale tripods became apparent only after use, and sooner or later you probably will decide that this is the part of your system where quality of design and materials matter a great deal. The right tripod will last you a very long time. The wrong one will be replaced soon. Bob

Robert,

I like my Gitzo 1325 too, but I get the feeling it's a bit overkill for the Canon Rebel and Nikon 8700 that Jennifer states she is using (of course, she didn't state what lens is on the Rebel, could be a 500 f/4.0 for all I know). I think the Gitzo 11xx series, or maybe the 12xx series would fit the bill a little closer, unless she really does have some lenses longer than a standard-zoom lens (28-135 35mm equivalent).

Just my $0.02.

steve r

"I like my Gitzo 1325 too, but I get the feeling it's a bit overkill for the Canon Rebel and Nikon 8700 that Jennifer states she is using. . ."

Steve -- I agree. On the other hand, several times I found myself trying to save a little on tripods only to wind up replacing them after a short period (a few years). She might want to look at 1200 series of CF tripods if the 1325 is too much.

Bob

Get a Gitzo. I have seen two Bogen cf tripods break in their first use. What breaks is those levers you turn to lock the legs. The Gitzo 1325 is probably overkill. The Gitzo 1227 now called the Gitzo 1257 is a little smaller, but still pricy, but worth it. A good ballhead is the Kirk BH-1 or the RRS BH-55; the latter is the one everyone says is the best out there. Joe smith

I use a relatively light and cheap Slik 400DX, and it's just fine in bad weather and cold (I live and shoot in Vermont), and it even has rubber covered legs. The head is metal and very smooth despite its fairly small size, and the legs spread independently for low work. For tall folks it might be a little short, and a 700DX, heavier and more expensive, but taller and still a good deal, might be better. Manfrottos might be a little nicer designed, and of course so are Gitzos, but the best of the sliks give you a good bang for the buck. If possible you might want to try some designs out in person, particularly to see how easy or difficult they are to operate with gloves on.

I would agree with Matthew's recommendation of the Slik. The 400DX should be OK - the 700 is very tall but is also a bit heavy. The Sliks don't get much airtime on this forum but they are very well built and cost less than similar Manfrotto or Gitzo offerings. The head is included (and it's very good) but may be interchanged for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider the Velbon Sherpa Pro line for carbon fiber legs with magnesium fittings. They are light but cheaper than Gitzo. They are distributed in the U.S. by Hakuba but they have their own site.

I am looking at one with a 3/8" connecting bolt so that I can use a Bogen ballhead that I could pack into the mountains.

Don't rush into this. There is a lot out there.

--Lannie

Forget the height criteria what good is a tripod that you find excuses for not taking along? I am 6' 4" also. I do not hesitate to take these. If the weather is very cold place them inside you coat and the will be warmish. I use Nikon FM2 and FE2 with Sigma 28-300 and 18-35 lenses. They are HEAVY and I have no stability complaints with the Biloret's. I sought diligently for the mother of all practical tripods and found it (them) in the vintage German Bilora Biloret tripods. And quality construction! They have the space saving ball head compared to the pan tilt. I do not need a panning handle. I bought the 3 I have on ebay at less than $20.00 each. The 3 cover every need I have. For the ultimate in a light weight pocket model, the aluminum 1007K. Flat-ish with legs all in a row when "folded" to 10" long. Or similar Biloret aluminum model. Maybe not the most durable for the very heavy handed like me but very light. For standard tripod photos I use the awesome 2037 brass beauty with out notches.. This is 11" folded and what I would take with out concerns on an African safaris or other once in a life time trip. If I carry my close up bellows setup I use the 2037 model with notches. Apparently the 2037 came with and with out. The one with notches allows the legs to be literally horizontal with the camera only 4" or so off the ground. Or any other height. With a close up bellows you can see how this could be an advantage. Also it is handy to do on the roof of a car or similar. I found only one modern day equivalent at only one place in my searches. It was at Circuit City and not prominently displayed. Rather the 3 were just sitting on top shelf of the racks. What good is a tripod that you find excuses for not taking along? I do not hesitate with these.