The long awaited Minolta DSE5400 scanner arrived today (original

version) new from Amazon.

Considering other's comments in posts long ago, I am recall reading

that the little horizontal green line(s) that crop up with some folks'

installations were a result of interference from monitors or too close

placement of the unit to a CPU. Others have thought it was due to

some combination of scanning software and USB or Firewire interface.

I have USB 2.0 and Firewire as well as Silverfast Studio for this

unit. So the questions are:

(1) Install with which interface an how far away should it be from

anything with interference.

(2) Install with both Minolta software (I hear it's useless) or

Silverfast or both? Does one have to install the Minolta software at all?

Thanks! As much as I've read, I'm still a newbie.

Thomas D. Kolbo

1) I'd say Firewire, tho you can try both. Firewire is slightly slower but more-or-less impervious to slowdown when multi-tasking, say with PhotoShop.

2) Do install Minolta Scan Utility (MSU), prior to hooking up hardware. Doesn't hurt. It may suprise you. I just pull out a 16 bit linear thru MSU, then take it elsewhere, but it's actually quite good at that. The controls are rudimentary, can be a bit frustrating, but have their good points.

If you haven't heard: turn on the scanner at least 20 minutes in advance of starting MSU software (and the init procedure that starts). At any time you can re-init, when in MSU with <ctrl> <alt> I.

Mendel,

The unit is "new" or at least advertised as new on Amazon for $499.95. I ordered it November 4th and it showed up today even though they say it usually ships within 24 hours (don't know where they got it). But it did ship from Amazon and not a drop ship from somewhere else. I found a Canadian company on Ebay that was selling 3 year Mack warranties for $30 good for this scanner. That showed up on by email and a paper copy as well (it's for real).

About a month ago, Amazon had that same scanner "new" for 399.95. I missed that deal by two days.

I haven't opened things up yet to check for signs of re-taping boxes etc. But it was in a Minolta box repacked in an Amazon box. I guess if the 1 year warranty card is in the Minolta box, it's new.

Adorama was selling these as refurbs with 6 month warranties recently for $449 I think.

TDK

Geesh, I paid $1100 Canadian (well, less a buck), a year back.

Be careful with the tabs on the holders. Open them gently, d.o. for closing. A little late now, will incur extra shipping charge, but extra holders are good insurance. When one tab on my slide holder broke, I ordered 2 replacements, about $50Can for the pair.

It was actually just a tiny little lug that restrains the spring that snapped. After getting the replacement holders, I repaired the snapped tab on the first with 2-part expoxy. First, put expoxy on all the mating surfaces of the break, and then, a thin 'skin' of epoxy up and down the adjacent exterior a little ways, for some extra reinforcement. Has held up fine, tho I haven't used that holder much, just keep it in reserve. Having a pair of holders is handy, you can 'stage' the next, while the first is in the scanner.

Mendel,

Thanks for the holder advice. I think I'm an old hand with epoxies (architectural models etc.). I have not looked on Amazon for extra holders although I'm sure B&H and Adorama have them.

As an added question, I have cats and despite anticipating construction of a filtered box for the scanner, it's going to be nearly imppossible to keep cat har and dander from going where it will. Has anyone had experience cleaning the 5400 and sensor?