4x5 developing -- so many options!

german

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion on 5x7 trays for developing the 4x5 sheets. I may be interested in this method also, since I am not planning on developing a lot of film, and I don't want to (no $)invest a lot of money at this time.

Now, have you seen any links, or could you tell me how to process the film in such trays?

Is it by gently tipping the trays a little bit, as in developing black & white prints? How much movement does the film need in such trays? Is it like, agitate for 15 secs, let it stand for 30 secs, agitate again? Or how does it work?

Please advise.

Best,

Germán

PS. I did a search on how to develop 4x5 film on 5x7 trays and the search brought me back to this topic here!

Leonard:

When I got the Unicolor 8x10 paper drum, the poor thing leaked like a sieve.

I cut a plastic gasket from an opal type coffee can plastic lid, Folger's brand to size to fit on top of the black gasket in the drum cover. Took five minutes.

Before developing, put a light coating of vaseline on this gasket. It will never leak anymore.

German:

If you are going to develop numerous 4x5's at the time, seriously, the Unicolor tank or other daylight method is best. Using these is identical to using roll film daylight developing tanks. You wouldn't use trays to develop 35mm film, ...or would you ?

Best.

Thanks Diwain,

I'll see how the bid goes on the Combi Plan first.

If that does not work out, I'll consider my options. Trays may be a good option, moneywise (and since I am going to be developing a few sheets at a time, to begin with), but it may take much more work. The 8x10 drum looks like a great option, if I find some. I used to process color film in those drums (though smaller) and they are nice labor-savers.

So, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again,

Germán