65 mm vs 50 mm as a second lens for a "slightly wide of normal" kind of photographer.

haziz

I am in the process of buying a Mamiya 7 outfit probably from Robert White in the UK

(shipping to the US). The price of the 80 mm lens included in the kit is a bargain and for

me it is a foregone conclusion that I am getting the 80 mm lens. If there was no kit, then

the camera body with a 65 mm lens would probably have been my first buy.

Now that I am getting the 80 mm lens, which lens should be my second lens. A 65 mm or

the 50?

Now for the background. I am a "slightly wide of normal" kind of photographer. Most of

my 35 mm format landscapes are shot with 35-50 mm lenses. With my 4x5 outfit my

most used lenses are the 135 (and 120 on a different camera) followed by my 210, then

300 and last is my 90 mm lens. I do have the Fuji GSW 690 medium format 6x9 camera

with the 65 mm lens and often wish I had gotten the more "normal" version with the 90

mm lens.

So does it make sense to get both the 65 mm and the 80 or should I have more

separation between the lenses and get the 50?

Just for my own better understanding. Does the 50 on the 6x7 'feel' about as wide as the

65 on the Fuji 6x9. I realize that the aspect ratios are fairly different. I love the Fuji and

don't dislike the 65 mm lens. If the 50 feels similar then I will likely use it. The 43 mm lens

sounds too wide, though if I do like the system and decide on the 65 I may end up with a

4 lens setup with the 43, 65, 80 and 150 (ouch, financially speaking).

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

The 50 is a magnificent lens. I think many would find the 65 and 80 too close to justify the cost of the second lens. The 80 and 50 are sufficiently distant to make it worthwhile having both ( as I do).

The one thing that irritates some is the auxillary viewfinder for the 50. For me, it is a positive advantage, for not only can I keep this finder in my pocket to evaluate potential photographs, but it is a much better guide to what the end result will be colour-wise than the polarised main finder in the body.

I too got the 80mm with the camera, as part of the "pro kit.". As I said in an earlier post, the 80 is wider than you think on a 6x7 format. I have heard wonderful things about the 65 though I do not own one. People like the ability not to have to use a separate finder and the angle of view. All the Mamiya 7 lenses are optically extraordinarily good.

After I had used the camera with the 80 for a while, I struggled with which wide angle lens to get. The 43 seemed a bit too wide, similar to a 20 on a 35mm. I had used a 20 on my 35mm film camera, but rarely. It was just too specialized. I was fortunate to find a 50 & 150 used for the M7 and got both. The 50 seemed like a terrific compromise betwen the 43 and 65. The lens is wonderfully sharp and I do not mind the accessory finder since I use the camera for nature and travel, often on a tripod.

Keep in mind that changing lenses on a M7 is not a trivial experience. One must close the dark slide curtain, remove the lens, CAREFULLY place the new lens so as not to damage the rangefinder cam, and then open the dark slide curtain. It's not like a quick changing 35 or digital camera at all.

With the 50, if the shot is a bit too wide and I can't zoom with my feet, I can just crop a bit.

Based on what you have said, and my own admittedly personal experience, I'd encourage you toward the 50 rather than the 65, since you already have the 80.

Your responses are deeply appreciated. What I was asking in my original somewhat long-

winded post is basically whether the 50 is basically too wide. Too wide to be a "walkabout"

Jack of all trades lens. I am just not a very wide angle kind of photographer. To me it

sounds like the 65 sounds about perfect as a "walkabout" lens. Please interpret the term

walkabout very broadly. I will be shooting mostly with a tripod. I may however just go with

both the 80 and 50 and see later.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

When I got my first MF with interchangeable lenses in the 70s (a C330) I had the 65 and 105, which were fine. Then I got the other lenses, including the 80mm that I almost never use. There is not much difference between 65 and 80 or between 65 and 55. When I went to an SLR (Hasselblad) it came with the 80 so I eventually got the 50, which worked for me.

For wider angle, which I like to do, I mainly use a 35mm and recommend that, especially if the budget is not high.

I agree with others, that the 50+80 is an optimum combo!

Eric Brody is right in that changing lenses on the Mamiya 7 is NOT trivial! I got around it by having two bodies, one for the 80 and another for the 50. Plus you can learn to use the 50 without the external VF.

• 1 month later...
For what it's worth, I've owned the Fuji 690III with the 65mm lens, and the Mamiya 7 with 50mm, and the M7 w/50 "felt" wider to me. I think the 35mm equivalent is roughly 50=24mm, 65=28mm. I now use the M7 with the 65mm only. For me it is the best compromise, and I really didn't like changing lenses on the Mamiya. I always felt like there was potential for damage.