Problem with PDN process for silver gelatin prints

I recently began working through Mark Nelson's Precision Digital Negatives

formula for creating inkjet negatives. I use Pictorico's White High-Gloss Film.

The problem seems to be the first step: the creation of a "Standard Print Time."

This must be a confusion on my part--and I hope others can rid me of it.

According to the instructions, I formulate the Base Printing Time by seeing

when the first two steps of the Standard Step Wedge (21 steps in my case)

merge. So far, so good, though it creates very long exposures. But then I

proceed to the Color Density Palette. Even after altering the time according to

instructions (x.71), I have a very long exposure. This means that all the color

densities are dark. In other words, there is no patch of white or near-white.

My approach has been to reduce the printing time until I get that patch of

white. However, this creates very, very drastic curves. I've thought about just

creating exposure times by experiments on only the color density palette. In

fact, that's the only way I can get both white and a (reasonable) black on Adox

FB.

In essence, my questions are: 1) have other silver-gelatin printers had the

same problem? And 2) what's the process for getting the Base Printing Time

to calculate the Standard Printing Time?

Process variables: using Epson 2200, warmtone developer, and Iford RC,

Foma FB, and Adox FB papers.

Hi,

If you believe that it is correct, keep the longer exp.time for the black. (The first one you have found)

But you could try to increase the ink density of the 2200 from the print dialog box for creating a new Color Dens. Palette by 5%, than 10% and at maximum 15%.

Hope that this will help.

Best

Mehmet Kismet

Catherine,

The first thing I would suggest is to contact Mark Nelson with your questions. Did you know that there is a private Yahoo group sponsored by Mark to allow registered PDN users to discuss PDN related issues?

Here is the link to the group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PDNPrint/

I assume you are using the lap method of determining your standard printing time. Using this method makes determining the SPT easier. Also instead of using a 21 step, step wedge, Mark has designed a 31 step wedge which makes determining the STP a little more accurate.

Using the Pictorico's White High-Gloss Film pretty much ensures that exposure times will be quite long since it is fairly opaque. If you want to use this material then there isn't any alternative to getting shorter exposure times unless you use an extremely bright lightsource. THE High Gloss Film is several stops slower than the OHP transparency film.

If you are not getting any paper white patches from your print of the Color Density Range Palette using the SPT then you need to use a contrastier grade of paper. I've found that increasing the ink density setting results in ink graining. You also don't indicate what media setting you are using to print the CDRP. If your aren't using it, use the Premium Glossy Setting at 2880 dpi. This setting will lay down more ink which may help the contrast some.

Do not reduce the STP printing time! As you have observed this will create more problems when creating your curve. You can indeed just print the CDRP to determine the SPT.

I don't understand question 2) what's the process for getting the Base Printing Time to calculate the Standard Printing Time?

Good luck,

Don Bryant

Catherine,

I should have said that you can determine the standard printing time printing the CDRP but along with a step wedge.

Also Mark has developed on a new Curve Calulator (which is now in beta), a much enhanced stand alone application which will simplify curve generation. It should be available after the first of the year. It will cost about $20 according to Mark but should be worth the money not having to screw around with the moving triangle in Excel.

Don