Elan 7E or 7NE

apdx

The difference between the two is very small; the biggest difference is that the 7NE has E-TTL II flash metering (the new system that takes distance info into account, but only with lenses that provide this info to the camera), while the 7E has E-TTL.

The 7NE has an illuminated top display, while the 7E has not.

Those are about the only two differences between the 7NE and 7E. While E-TTL II is IMO a good improvement over E-TTL, I personally don't think it is worth it to pay almost two times the price ($270 vs $150).

Remember, film cameras are a mature type of product, they aren't like DSLRs which are still very much in development, and where every new model is miles ahead of the previous model.

I have both the 7NE and 7E. Shooting chromes, I couldn't discern any difference between

the flash performance of the two cameras, at least with a 420EX (both popups use plain

TTL). Also, AF performance basically the same or so close I can't tell a difference. The

illuminated LCD of the 7N is only real improvement I could see.

However the fit and finish of my older (Japan made ) 7E is better than the Taiwanese 7NE.

The 7NE came with a dirty focusing screen and the popup flash was not aligned well. The

7N is impeccable.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

One other probable difference is that the newer camera will handle stop down metering of manual lenses used via an adaptor correctly, whereas the 7E probably does not (some late bodies had corrected firmware, but most do not). Supposedly there have been some minor tweaks to metering and AF performance, but these are hard to detect in practice.

I have EOS3 and purchased 7NE for lighter work when I don't want to carry the 3 and 550EX, like family functions or casual vacation snaps. I also carry the 7NE in the car for impromptu shots. When out in the field, my 3 is primary workhorse and 7NE stays behind unless I decide to shoot two different films. All in all, I very happy with the combo. Unfortunatly, I have no experience with earlier 7's.