macro? I just got my XT and 70-200 so I was considering the 50mm 2.5

Macro lens (rebate eligible), but I am not sure it gives me enough

magnification for my needs. Would it? Is there a cheaper way to get

similar results. This is not my main genre of shooting but its

something I enjoy.

How can I get macro shots like that?

Zach

<p> <i>Is there an inexpensive way for me to shoot macro? </i> </p>

<p> <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#closeup">Yes</a>. <b></b> </p>

<p> <i>I was considering the 50mm 2.5 Macro lens (rebate eligible), but I am not sure it gives me enough magnification for my needs. Would it? </i> </p>

<p> Probably not as it is only 1:2. The Canon 100/2.8 macro USM (rebate eligible as well), will do 1:1 and give you greater distance from your subject. This is important especially when dealing with bugs which tend to fly away when you get too close.</p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>

You could try extension tubes with your 50/1.8 or extension tubes and close-up lens with

the 70-200/4. Those options would be cheaper than a 50/2.5, but less convenient and

almost certainly of lower optical quality. With a set of Kenko tubes you could get

greater than 1:1 magnification with your 50/1.8 and possibly with the 70-200 (at 70 mm),

but -- especially with the 50 -- you'll be really close to your subjects.

As Yakim suggests, if you can spring for the 100/2.8 it's probably the best solution in terms

of magnification, optical quality, working distance, and convenience.

Remember that you may be able to achieve some of the effects you're looking for by

taking a not-quite-true macro shot and approprately cropping. This photo, for example,

was taken using the so-called "macro" mode (which is not anywhere close to what a 'true'

macro will give you) with a 28-135 IS. More to the point, I can also use that lens for

general photography. So it depends on your needs.

The vivitar 100 / 3.5 macro lens is $150. Does that fit your definition of "cheaper"?<div>00EEUo-26558884.jpg.1a20024146d7e9a8651befd8c87155b0.jpg</div>

Ahhh, the wonderful world of macro. I have the most fun shooting close-ups. I liked the 50mm 2.5, but it didn't get close enough. The 60mm 2.8 is a nice compact lens that goes 1:1, but I didn't like the bokeh. So I settled on a EF100 2.8 which is a versatile lens - incredibly sharp and beautiful contrast and color. I do miss my MP-E 65mm, which I sold during some equipment consolidation period. It was the easiest way to get "knock your socks off" macros, and I shall buy another someday soon. It's expensive, although I sold it for $50.00 less than new on Ebay. Big city dealers will rent them for the day. Get an off the camera flash cord for your EX420 and some sort of mounting bracket. Check my portfolio out for shots with all the above listed macro lenses.

Rich

There are lower cost quality 1:2+ option beside Canon's MPE-65mm. If you don't mind spending time looking for parts, you can build a compact high magnification/quality macro lens for faction of the MPE cost. Here is one I used. Leitz 50mm/f4.5 milar, compact M42 bellow, RMS-to-M39 Adapter, M39 to M42 Adapter, M42 to EOS adapter. Magnification range ~1:1 to 3:1. The difficult part to find is the RMS-to-M39 adapter. Here is a picture of it. If you don't have the time to look for parts, try use a reversed 50mm enlarger lens or a good 50mm prime.<div>00EFAj-26573084.jpg.fe4f9fc65fba840a9ebb8a50e2565ea2.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

The cheapest choice and most convenient choice for shooting quality magro images uses high quality achromatic diopters such as the Canon's 500D and the Nikon's 6T and 5t. These dioptes screw on to the front of a lens such as your 70-200 zoom. They yeild a surprising quality of image.

I have read a number of reviews regarding the phoenix/vivitar/cosima (same lens despite the different brand names) 100mm 3.5 macro lens. According to the reviews, the optics are very sharp but the lens build quality seems flimsy. They can be purchased new for about $100 on ebay.

On thing to keep in mind, with the smaller sensor size of the 350 XT, you have an effective magnification rate of 1.6. Therefore, you may not need as much magnification from the lens to fill your frame with the detail you wish.

Irwin<div>00ETG3-26912284.jpg.e8de94891aca734cb07de16d32f8b601.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...