M6 classic - which viewfinder?

cmphoto1

Look at the front of the camera, at the front of the finder window in the top left

corner. There's a silver stripe along the bottom. If there are no letters or markings,

it's a 0.72 magnification finder- the standard for all Leica RF's since the M2. After

they introduced the "hi-mag" 0.85 finder, and later the 0.58 "low mag" or "wide

angle" finder, with the M6TTL's, they started marking all the windows here with the

magnification #. So all classics will either have no marking (standard .72) or the .80

for the "hi mag" version.

MM: The framelines on the 0.85 are closer to that of an M3, but still not quite the same. The angle of view in the 0.85 is slightly larger than in the 0.72. Smallest 0.72, middle 0.85 largest M3. All of the above are based on the inside edge of the framelines.

Mark J.

Rob: I am not saying that. I looked through three different cameras at my bookshelves, toggling the 50 frameline set. All three showed a different field of view. Minor differences, but different none the less. M6 0.72, M6 0.85 and M3. And while we are on the subject, the 35 framelines show a little bit more in the 0.85.

Mark J.

Hi Chad,

In all likelyhood you have a .72. There were only approximately 3000 M6HM made at the

very end of the M6 lifestyle. It is easy to tell if you have the HM. Take a look on the front of

the camera. If you have the .85 it will be labeled as such