Canon 85 1.8 vs Contax/Zeiss 85 1.4

mark_punch

I am wondering what difference would there be in optical performance

between the Canon 85 1.8 and the Contax/Zeiss 85 1.4 lenses.

Forgetting about the auto/manual focus factor, has anybody out

there ever used both these portrait lenses , and if so , what are your

impressions ? Thanks in advance for any advice......Mark

I have the 85mm f/1.8, don't have the 85mm f/1.4 Photodo rates the 85mm f/1.8 as a 4.1 out of 5 (very good), and the 85mm f/1.4 as a 4.6 out of 5 (extremely good).

From a practical standpoint, you'll probably see subjective differences in color/contrast/microcontrast as well as slight increase in resolution with the 85mm f/1.4. My 85mm f/1.8 is so sharp though, even at f/1.8, I couldn't ask for more.

Of course, this doesn't stop me from wanting the Canon 85mm f/1.2 L. ;-)

I have the 85/1.4 and I think it is a fantastic lens but..as far as rating sites like Photo-do are concerned..I generally feel that if there is less than .5 difference between two lenses, then any differences are probably not perceptable.

A thiner DOF of 85mm f1.4 is a feature not a defect or short coming to complain. I have one. In my practical use it's never a problem. I had a 85mm 2.8 Sonnar first. It is a very sharp lens. It's a joy to use. But when I got my 85mm 1.4 Planar it became the one remaining on my RTS-2 most of the time. It is plenty bright and sharp that it's a breeze to focus. No, DOF on this lens is not a problem at all. Edge sharpness is outstanding even at wide open.

• 2 weeks later...
I have and have used the Canon 85mm 1.8 optic for nearly twenty years and find it to be excellent, i t may be that the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 probably in absolute optical lens test terms is a better lens.To My mind it all depends on which camera system you have already, they are both professional quality lenses I don't think you would be unhappy with either.