50mm 1.4 + sand= !@#$

jayhai

I brought my camera and 1.4 to the beach and thought I was careful,

but some sand got into my lens. The autofocus and manual focus only

works near infinity. The focus ring turns but the lens does not

extend to focus close up. Is there anything I can do at this point.

Does anyone know how much this will cost me to send into canon, or

can a shop take care of this? Where do the screws on the side lead?

Thanks for any help. Tim.

Last time I was at Canon Hawaii there was a $150 minimum charge for service of any kind.

I'm sure it varies by location but I bet it's a small diff. If it's still under warranty just take it in

and don't mention sand. This lens is known to have lockups in the focus mechanism. Maybe

that's what happened and it was a mere coincidence your were also at the beach.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Going to the beach is about the worst thing you can do to un-sealed camera equipment short of dropping it to the ocean. Sand is in the air, enough of it to get between everything. I recall being at Miami Beach with my 60mm micro and I only walked 20 min along the beach, had my UV on to protect the front element and basically the manual focusing has had a sandy feel to it ever since.

A banana?!,lol

<BR>That's one of the funnier ones i've heard of.

<P>Sand in equipment is an odd thing,even a single grain can make the focus feel bad

<BR>You could possibly clean it out yourself but i'd recommend against it.I've worked on a huge number of lenses and allways find the faster lens designs to be difficult to work on.Besides that the Canon EF's tend to have delicate parts inside.

Going to the beach is about the worst thing you can do to un-sealed camera 0

Ouch, geez I live almost on the beach (120yds) I have about 12 cam bods and over 30 lenses. all been on the beach many times never had problems, Also have many surf photogs round here, no complaints. worst spot is at the top of the beach with fine sand and wind close to wter not to bad. Best if unlucky, if under warrantee just send to canon as `something wrong`, if no warrantee ust goe to a local camera repairer recommended by your local cam club for clean & adj.Tip. only take your backup lenses to the beach.(Its bright and at f8 no one knows the difference)

good luck

I too live near the beach (Honolulu) and have shot on or near it for 20 years without a single

incident. Zippo. You have to use common sense and your gear will be fine. For example,

don't change lens on the beach, keep the camera in the bag until needed, protect the front

element with a UV filter during high surf/salt spray season, wipe down your gear with a damp

cloth, etc. On the other hand, I have seen many tourists ruin their cameras in a moment of

carelessness. One of the most common is to leave a naked camera on the beach towel or

dangling from their body all day during high wind and surf.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter