Boy at beach. Beginning photographer would love to get some feedback.

katiehigg

Okay, DON'T CLICK ON THE ABOVE PHOTO! The picture is WAY too big! Try this link instead, http://gallery.higginbothams.name/Hayden/Beach_7_05_0651

I don't know how to make it a working link you can click on. It should work if you paste it in a new browser winder. I'll try it and let you know.

Okay, if you go through all the hassle of trying to see my photo I really hope you like it.

Katie

How bout some amateur praise instead? It is a good shot. You could vary the height from which you took it to get his head separated from the horizon a bit, and crop more or less at the bottom, but those are fairly minor items. Keep shooting.

I like the way you did get on his level. I like way you captured him doing whatever he was doing, as opposed to grinning at the camera. Makes the shot much more interesting on it's own.

And FYI, you're not a total dork because the photo posting isn't as straightforward as you'd expect- you learn by experience, like the rest of us did (and are).

First off, this is a comparatively good shot. It has some potential.

The biggest technical comment I'd make is that the tonal range of the photo feels a bit

limited; all the darkest darks are in his shorts. If this were me -- and if I were willing to

photoshop it, which I always am :-) -- I'd probably try to make it a bit more contrasty,

particular with the shadows on his shoulder. On the positive side, you avoided

overexposing the sky, which is nice.

I don't like the crop. You may have good reasons for cropping it this way, but it's so tigh

that he feels like he is in jail, which is an odd sort of feeling to have looking at a photo of

someone standing on the shore. I also sort of feel like you compromised on the pose.

You clearly wanted to get his expression, but the 3/4 back profile doesn't really work for

me. But that's a matter of taste.

Nice use of depth of field, and nice sharpness on your main subject.

Keep on shooting!

I think it is a very sweet image and pretty well-composed. He is a sweet boy. :-D I agree with Peter about the tonal range. I hope you don't mind I played with it in Photoshop for a minute just to experiment with the tones. I also warmed it a bit. Just a personal preference, since it's a beach shot, I thought warmer tones might work nicely.<div>00ECyT-26523884.jpg.9a7046cfcb4948f56e1ca362dd22bb33.jpg</div>

I really appreciate everyone's input. I still need to learn a lot about tones and such, but I love getting the different opinions.

Kim, I absolutely don't mind you playing with the photo. Just the minor changes you made look great! I use Photoshop on occasion, but I guess I need to really start playing with it. Thanks.

Katie

Well, it is composition, composition, composition.

In this case, the horizon cuts the top of the head. Lower yourself or rise up. The bucket and feet get cut off, too. ... Re-look a few times when you shoot. Move the camera away from that standard 4foot 7 height ... And good luck. (The picture is very sharp; good)