body, one which is a bit more robust and weather-sealed than this. I

can?t spring for a new or used 1V, but I could do a second-hand EOS

3 or EOS 1N. Second hand, these two models are in the same sort of

price range. I know the 3 is more modern, has ETTL, better AF etc.,

but I was wondering whether there was any compelling reason to go

for a 1N. Considering they are likely to be a few years older, as

well as technologically less advanced, the 1N bodies seem to have

held their value well in comparison. Any ideas/suggestions? Has

anyone owned or used both of these bodies?

Thanks!

I have an EOS 3 and sold my 1N to buy it some years ago. The EOS 3 has much better AF,

metering, flash and , of course, sports ECF, a feature I have difficulty living without.

Consider that the 3's basic AF and metering are still used in the 1 series digital bodies, so

the

EOS 3 is still pretty current. Also, the

PB-E2 is nicer than the PB-E1 (more controls). The only thing I missed from the 1N was the

adjustable diopter. However, I bought a -2.0 diopter from B&H so no biggy. In most other

respects they look, feel and work about the same.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The biggest plus for the 3 in IMHO is that it has the main command dial on the PB-E2 booster that the 1N with PB-E1 lacks.

Downsides however are that it is c97% viewfinder (1N is 100%) and has no dioptre (sp?) adjustment. If you take many tripod night/low light shots, then the eyepiece shutter that the 1N has may also be of use.

The 3 is considerably more noisy both with the booster and without and for my money I would say that the 1n is considerably better built.

The 3 however has a more advanced meter system and also ECF.

A tough choice if any of the above are important. I have had a 3 for about 12 months and have owned 3 1NHS bodies for the best part of 5 years.

Personally i would go for the 1N for build quality and 100% viewfinder, but secondhande many pros changed from 1n to digital without the step up to 3/1V and that means that you need to be sure of the life the 1N has had.

Hope this helps

Andrew

<P><B>The EOS 3 has water and dust seals</B></P><P>The Canon EOS Technical

Overview (CT2-1114-001) states the <B>EOS 3 body has water and dust seals and is build

to the same durability and

sealing specs as the EOS 1N.</B> For example, all buttons and dials use rubber gaskets

to block out water droplets. The back door has a seal as well. Important electrical contacts

are bipolar and gold plated. If you frequently shoot in wet or dusty conditions this camera

should be able to take it.</P><P>According to the Canon EOS

Technical Overview, the EOS 3 body is..."constructed of glass-fiber

reinforced polycarbonate with aluminum inserts around the aperture area with exterior

panels of rigid engineering plastic." Although the 1V is even tougher, the EOS 3 is in the

same class as the 1N in terms of durability and sealing.</P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Terry,

If this thread has not died yet! Wanted to make a comment earlier but it just didn't happen.

About 4 months ago I was faced with the exact same question you have. I have and Elan 7e and was wanting a second film body. I too was considering the 1N, I too thought that was what I needed for my wildlife work in adverse weather. And after some of the same input you have also received here on PN I ended up deciding on the EOS 3 and acquired my used EOS 3 about 2 months ago. Absolutely NO REGRETS, it's a fantastic body, and just about "natural" when familiar with the Elan 7e.

My biggest decision makers - ECF, 97% viewfinder compared to the 93% or so of the Elan 7e and probably the biggest factor - My EF 100-400L IS would lose AF on the Elan with the 1.4X TC.

When I first got my 7e, coming from the Canon FD system, I thought I was really going to face a learning curve that would take a couple of years. Well, . . . I thought the same with the transition from the 7e to the EOS 3, Not so, "just natural!"

Hope you decide on the 3, I think you will be totally satisfied.

Good luck,

Jim J.

I was a 1N user. It was a great camera but I would say, buy EOS 3. Bottom line is, EOS 3 is

a better camera. Don't worry about the value, really, there are no Film camera value is

going to hold anyway. weather-sealed? are you working in rain forest 9 months a year? if

not, it doesn't matter. I have friend drop his Canon rebel in water, it still works after it dry

up. why worry.

Hi,

Eos-3 is agreat camera but be sure tohave the one with the latest firmware where the Cf is 19 as the fist firmware with Cf17 which will result underexposure 2/3 to one F stop. IN this case you have to send it to canon center to update the firmware.

I have also Eos-1V which is still the best boady ever Canon produced, you will have same feeling and metering when use Eos-3.

Good shooting

This thread is 'done', but FWIW, I too would go for the EOS 3 over the 1n (and did..)

Just to be 'awkward' I later bought a well-used EOS 1 (the first model), purely as I shoot a lot of macro slides and don't like having to crop them (which does occur sometimes with the smaller viewfinder of the EOS 3). The difference is size is marginal..but 100% means 100% which is handy.. The old EOS 1 goes for next to nothing nowadays, and is my first choice also (being built seemingly out of cast iron :-) ), when I *know* I'm going to get jostled/bashed...