back-up camera choice

george_tietz

Found a good price on the PANASONIC DMC-FZ5K Lumix 5 ($340) and do

not have a backup for my 20d , was going to get an XT or another 20

D for backup but am now going to save for the 5d but still need

something to tide me over probably about a year have read extensive

reviews on this camera and it will fill my needs just wanted to get

any opinions from some of the intelligent people here<div>00EShc-26894484.jpg.7e9cfa20f430d99b9b36b3c488871c15.jpg</div>

If it's a backup you don't really expect to need, you can pick up a film body in excellent condition for under $200. In an emergency you can still shoot film and all your (non EF-S) lenses will be fine.

I carry a film backup body plus a few rolls of film. You can buy more film almost anywhere and the quality will be higher than any small sensor digicam.

Both suggestions are good.

Let me add that it partly depends on what you shoot and for whom. If you are shooting for clients and they want digital output, get a DLSR. Then sell it when you get your 5D.

If you need good quality in low light, you won't be happy with the Panasonic FZ5K at high ISOs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/page11.asp

For less noise, go with the Rebel XT, or 10D, or 20D.

If you shoot happy snaps for yourself, get a film body, or a DSLR or the Panasonic.

If your 20D decides to quit, especially in a really important photo situation, what camera will you wish you had as a backup?

Jim

Yeah, film is getting better every year. Or so I've heard. Been a while since I tried it. :)

I also don't think the FZ5 is a good backup camera to a 20D. A film body would be a less expensive & more suitable backup.

However, if you are looking for a second camera as an alternative, the FZ5 could be great. I use an older FZ3 for this. Lots of places I would rather not drag the 20D & a bag of lenses, are just fine for the FZ5. Sometimes I bring the FZ3 because it's smaller, and somtimes because the risk is such that I would rather loose a $300 camera than a $2000 one. Also, in fair light, the FZ5 is a cheaper & lighter way to bring a long tele lens. Image quality is surprisingly good.

For others a smaller pocketable camera works better as an alternative camera.

well, you cant go and use film as a backup for a digital only setup. if your digital dies, not only do you need the camera, u also need the polariod test shot camera, light meters, films for both and light balanced films and or color correction filters where will need more light with different filters and bla la la..

I think best go for the digital rebel XT as a backup for your 20D.

My backup camera is an Elan IIeqd. but I used to shoot film so I can make do with it. new gen photogs who grew up with only digital will find it a strange world.

People here seem to post as if DSLRs have been an affordable item with good enough quality for pro use for decades. The reality is that that's only been the case for the past 3 or 4 years at most - arguably less. I doubt that anyone who is even a wet behind the ears graduate from some photo school has NEVER used a film camera if they are earning a living from photography.