writting bios

klm

Why do you have to write a bio? I've tried to write one for my website, but always end up trashing it. I don't believe anyone cares that I've always loved photography, or that I got my first camera when I was 8. If you have special credentials, training, awards, etc., you should put those into a short bio - like a resume. But if you just love wedding photography and were born with a camera in your hand, leave the bio out. Your passion should show in your work.

Jon think's those that dislike biographies written in third-person is most likely because they were actually poorly written.

A bio has greater credibility if it is written third person, and I don't mean me writing my bio in third person, but somebody else writing my bio in third person. If I wrote my bio, would't it be an autobio? (is that the opposite of a manualbio?)

I've even read some nice bios written like a nice press release, but it was obviously an autobiography.

Or at least that's what I think Jon Jacobson thinks.

(who said that?)

(shh..., I don't know)

So anyway Kimberly, people hate talking about themselves because they're modest. Get into ultra brag mode, write about your unmatched personallity, your growing portfolio, your unwavering eye for detail, your exceptional quality, your guest appearences on Live with Regis & Kelly; then start curtailing it as you see fit. Have fun with it.

If you write in first person I suggest you call it a "statement" or "personal note" from the photographer. It might just be a sentence on your experience and then a line or two on your approach to shooting a wedding and customer service. OK, maybe a small headshot too if you think clients might react positively to it.

Something to give the client to look at you as a person/artist.

How about this?

Kimberly M hates writing bios.

:-)

As a bride, I loved reading about what inspired a photographer or what they were drawn to

in images. I also liked knowing how many years of experience (and type of experience)

they had.